Lithium ION batteries, Anyone tried the Shorai, Chrome Pro, or WPS YTZ7s

My stock battery is crap on my 2012 X and won't hold a charge.  I've read the advantages of Lithium ION over Lead Acid.  
My reservation is our local "Battery's Plus store" pulled the Shorai off the shelf because of problems.  Has anyone used any of these

three brands? Shorai, Chrome Pro, or WPS  lithium ion with good results?  

Lead acid is tried and true and you can't go wrong, but it's heavier and doesn't perform as well on paper as lithium ion.  Thanks

My original stock battery lasted about 5 years before it crapped out. I then I bought a Chinese replacement which lasted several months.I then bought an original battery which did not last long either.I finally bought a Shorai 14A a few years ago which cranks the bike with ease and it is light as a feather compared to the stock battery. I recently started my bike after about a year of storage, and my Shorai did not skip a beat. I'll buy another Shorai when it craps out.

• Like 1

I've used both the Shorai battery and the Ballistics.  The Shorai is nice because it fits in just like a stock battery (or close to it).  The Ballistic has an odd case shape that makes it not as easy.  However, from my experience the Ballistic has an easy time starting stuff up (higher CCA rating).  I do have the balance charger setup for the LiFePo batteries and use it regularly in balance function just to keep up on maintenance.

Way better than any AGM battery, IMO.

Only bad thing is when something has been accidentally left on and the battery goes dead.  When a LiFePo battery goes dead, it is useless.  I was able to recover one once, but I have lost a two over the years doing that.  All my fault, so I can't complain.

I ran the Shorai in my street bike dead a couple weeks ago - I left the key (and the lights) on.  The battery was completely dead within an hour, but after about an hour on the tender it cranked right up and has performed perfectly ever since.  The Shorai on my X has performed perfectly for a few years now - and it often sits for months at a time.

Been using a shorai for 1.5 years now never had a problem. Just gotta make sure if you charge them you use the correct charger. Mine has never needed a charge either.

Been using a shorai for 1.5 years now never had a problem. Just gotta make sure if you charge them you use the correct charger. Mine has never needed a charge either.

Sounds like most of the posts like the Shorai, did you go with the 130cca or the 210cca one.  They are about $40 difference in cost between the too.  I think the OEM  stock battery YTZ7s is 130cca 

I ran the Shorai in my street bike dead a couple weeks ago - I left the key (and the lights) on.  The battery was completely dead within an hour, but after about an hour on the tender it cranked right up and has performed perfectly ever since.  The Shorai on my X has performed perfectly for a few years now - and it often sits for months at a time.

The good thing about an CRF450X is there's nothing to leave on like a street or dual sport bike. 

I just put the Shorai in my 08" CRF450X Saturday. I did a ton of reading and research and didn't find any negatives at all. The package is just what you hope for. The square nuts have cool little sticky foam pads on them to hold them in place. They have a box full of hi density foam slats to fit it just right, and so far cranks the bike just fine.

I bought a new CRF250x in 2005, and the lead-acid batteries only lasted me about a year, and it seemed like i was always having to charge them.

A couple of years ago, I got tired of replacing and messing with the batteries, and went with a Shorai (the small one). My bike cranks over way faster now, and it hasn't gone dead yet. No more messing with the battery on my bike. When it does crap out, I'll get another Shorai...

Randy

I just put the Shorai in my 08" CRF450X Saturday. I did a ton of reading and research and didn't find any negatives at all. The package is just what you hope for. The square nuts have cool little sticky foam pads on them to hold them in place. They have a box full of hi density foam slats to fit it just right, and so far cranks the bike just fine.

Thanks,  Almost everybody has good things to say about the Shorai.  I am curious how the chrome pro performs since it's made in the USA, but usually you get what you pay for.   I'm going with the 210cca Shorai 

For the record, the Shorai is Lithium IRON (LiFe), as in the metal, like cast-iron. Not ion.

With that said, I have a Shorai and love it. Had it over a year now and it's never failed me.

You are correct Lithium Iron Phosphate.  Don't know how I got ION in my head.  Maybe I was thinking of a Saturn car. ?

I just installed the 14 amp Shorai. 160 dollars. I'll never go back. They hold a charge a long time. Most chargers will work. You can't use one that disulfates. That will ruin batt.your typical mc battery will work just fine. If you ever need to charge it. My bike starts so fast now. Even in gear!!! Been using 2 months now. Perfect

I use WPS all the way. I don't care what anyone says it is a great battery for the price. Search Shorai reliability across all forums here and elsewhere and you will find 80% of people are usually good with it while about 20% have issues with them. You will find it is hit or miss. I am not taking chances on a battery like that. Just my 2 cents.

It is 502 grams or 1.1 lbs in weight vs the Shorai 662 grams or 1.46 lbs however it does not put out as many CCA as the Shorai either. The WPS has 150 CCA vs the 210 of the Shorai.

It's advantage over the Shorai is you can use a regular charger on it. It is also $60 cheaper than the Shorai. It has a nifty test light so you know if it is full, medium or low. Shims come in the box as well. If you do need to charge it after like a year of sitting, it can be brought up to 90% charge within 6 minutes. 1 Year later I still love it and bought another one my Victory Hammer 8Ball!

I use WPS all the way. I don't care what anyone says it is a great battery for the price. Search Shorai reliability across all forums here and elsewhere and you will find 80% of people are usually good with it while about 20% have issues with them. You will find it is hit or miss. I am not taking chances on a battery like that. Just my 2 cents.

It is 502 grams or 1.1 lbs in weight vs the Shorai 662 grams or 1.46 lbs however it does not put out as many CCA as the Shorai either. The WPS has 150 CCA vs the 210 of the Shorai.

It's advantage over the Shorai is you can use a regular charger on it. It is also $60 cheaper than the Shorai. It has a nifty test light so you know if it is full, medium or low. Shims come in the box as well. If you do need to charge it after like a year of sitting, it can be brought up to 90% charge within 6 minutes. 1 Year later I still love it and bought another one my Victory Hammer 8Ball!

Thanks for the input, I thought I'd give it a try due to the cost difference.  the lead acid bats this size never seem to last more than 1-2 years and always need charging.  The WPS does have 20 more cca than the stock Yuasa so it's worth trying.  

Most of the feedback is positive on the Shorai but for $70 less it's worth it to try the WPS or the Pro Chrome.