Sign in to follow this  

Need a little advice from the pros on a Suzuki JR80

I got a Suzuki JR80 in February and it was running great.  About a week ago it died while one of the kids was riding it.  I guessed it was out of gas.  I put it in the shed for later.   This weekend I got it out and fueled it up and no go.  I pulled plug and see spark and the spark plug hole will puff my finger when kicked. I hit the spark plug hole with starter fluid and tried again and nothing.   I replaced plugged and tried with starter fluid again and still nothing.  I would think that the starter fluid would at least ignite but does nothing.  Could it not be getting enough spark?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

I got a Suzuki JR80 in February and it was running great.  About a week ago it died while one of the kids was riding it.  I guessed it was out of gas.  I put it in the shed for later.   This weekend I got it out and fueled it up and no go.  I pulled plug and see spark and the spark plug hole will puff my finger when kicked. I hit the spark plug hole with starter fluid and tried again and nothing.   I replaced plugged and tried with starter fluid again and still nothing.  I would think that the starter fluid would at least ignite but does nothing.  Could it not be getting enough spark?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

You tried new plug.

Now it is time to test the compression...with a gauge. :)  If you don't have one a friend or shop might let you borrow it to check it real quick.  You can be low (not zero) on compression and still not fire.

Once you test spark/plug and compression.  You either have a fuel delivery problem or the plug is firing out of sequence.  based on your description of the bike just dying, I am leaning towards low compression, after a fouled plug was ruled out.

Rhino

Thanks. Working on finding a gauge to try that. Will post what I find.

Thanks for ebay info. I do see a spark when grounded. Also got a compression kit and think Rhino is on it. I am getting 30 psi. I am guessing it should be like 150?

Edited by thebvr
  • Like 1

Thanks for ebay info. I do see a spark when grounded. Also got a compression kit and think Rhino is on it. I am getting 30 psi. I am guessing it should be like 150?

Yeah, 30psi wont run an engine.  Time for a top end.  Little 2 strokes are fun to work on.  Have one of your kids help...if only to hold a light.  I was building top ends on my 125cc MX bike by myself when I was 12-13yo while dad was at work.  Spent many hours down in the garage with the old man helping him growing up.

Cool. Any advice where to buy my top end kit? Online or local moto store?

Not positive where to direct you for a JR80.  Might not be able to find a "kit" and need to go OEM and piece it together. 

Local shop may have to order the parts.  Always nice to support local shops if you can, but I understand the allure of online shop prices.  ThumperTalk has access to OEM parts so that  is an option.