LESS THAN 24 HOURS LEFT TO GET IN ON THIS! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Bike setup for those who also mountain bike

Hey all, just bought an all mountain/slope style / XC type mountain bike and want to spend some time hitting some dirt jumps, doing a little down hill and some XC. 

Throttle twisters are my passion and will remain the priority, so I am considering how to make mountain biking more complimentary training to my throttle ridding. 

It's been mentioned in threads here, and I recently met a fellow who rode with an auto clutch, and did a handlebar mounted rear brake set up just like his MTB. In this instance he was tailoring his dirt bike to be more similar to his mountain bike, as mountain biking was his priority

On the flip side, I was thinking, would it be beneficial to muscle memory to move the front brake on my mountain bike to the right side, to keep parity with my dirt bike, and put the rear brake on the left side (since it is often used in conjunction with the rear brake, or in place of, on a dirt bike)? Seems like this would be more similar, any thoughts? 

Anyone do this or other tricks to help mountain better biking compliment dirt biking and build better muscle memory? 

On the flip side, I was thinking, would it be beneficial to muscle memory to move the front brake on my mountain bike to the right side, to keep parity with my dirt bike, and put the rear brake on the left side (since it is often used in conjunction with the rear brake, or in place of, on a dirt bike)? Seems like this would be more similar, any thoughts? 

Anyone do this or other tricks to help mountain better biking compliment dirt biking and build better muscle memory? 

I flipped my brakes for that reason.  Scared the heck out of roomies who borrowed the bike without letting me know.  Probably not necessary though; they feel different and you use the brakes a lot more on an MC than a mountain bike over anything where you aren't heading steeply downhill.

Edited by Wonderspoon
  • Like 1

It's been mentioned in threads here, and I recently met a fellow who rode with an auto clutch, and did a handlebar mounted rear brake set up just like his MTB. In this instance he was tailoring his dirt bike to be more similar to his mountain bike, as mountain biking was his priority

That's the typical set up they mostly use over here.

Agree that moving the rear brake to the handlebar is the hot setup.  But the main advantage is the cardio workout you are getting and the rythem and speed training from MTB.    Going fast on a mountain bike is all about momentum,  Maintaing the speed down the hills and over the top.  It teaches you to shift in the right spot to maintain your speed.  It also teaches you to maintain speed in the corners to keep momentum up,  I think it's the next best thing to dirt biking.  But watch out,  If you do it too much your calves will get too big to fit into your MX boots.

Agree that moving the rear brake to the handlebar is the hot setup.  But the main advantage is the cardio workout you are getting and the rythem and speed training from MTB.    Going fast on a mountain bike is all about momentum,  Maintaing the speed down the hills and over the top.  It teaches you to shift in the right spot to maintain your speed.  It also teaches you to maintain speed in the corners to keep momentum up,  I think it's the next best thing to dirt biking.  But watch out,  If you do it too much your calves will get too big to fit into your MX boots.

And that set up would make sense if you wanted your dirt bike set up more like your MTB...I'm trying to go the opposite direction (would never give up my clutch on my MX bike and not interested in a auto clutch) so what do you think of swapping brake lever locations on the MTB so the right hand is still the front brake, like on a dirt bike? 

Plus, I pull or feather the clutch often when using the rear brake on the dirt bike (Brake sliding, using rear brake in the air to correct, etc) so the left hand is already engaging with braking pretty often on the dritbike. Seems like it would be more in line if I set up the mountain bike that way? 

And that set up would make sense if you wanted your dirt bike set up more like your MTB...I'm trying to go the opposite direction (would never give up my clutch on my MX bike and not interested in a auto clutch) so what do you think of swapping brake lever locations on the MTB so the right hand is still the front brake, like on a dirt bike? 

Plus, I pull or feather the clutch often when using the rear brake on the dirt bike (Brake sliding, using rear brake in the air to correct, etc) so the left hand is already engaging with braking pretty often on the dritbike. Seems like it would be more in line if I set up the mountain bike that way? 

I've never tried doing that but I have heard of people doing it and they liked it.  My old Pursang had the shifter on the right side and the rear brake on the left but I got used to it pretty quick.  Then I got an AJS and it had the shifter on the right but the pattern was backwards, up to downshift, down to upshift.  That was a little tougher.  You can get used to anything.  When I ride my MTB bike it just comes natural to grab the left for front brake.  I'm afraid if I changed it I would end up on my head more often than I already do.

All the bikes I've owned have had the front brake on the left anyway.

But then ya's drive on the wrong side of the road and car as well I suppose so kind of makes sense :goofy: . You lot are all backwards..

Edited by AddictedToBling