Sign in to follow this  

Engine Guard Weight;

I am working on bits and pieces of my 90 XR200R (project II) and reduced some weight off the front by using my 87 front end, 90 wheel with the odo delete, 87 lower triple with the aluminum stem. I kept the 90 top triple which is aluminum, as I plan on mounting a CRF230F front number plate to it, vs. a head light shell, so I needed an attachment point to screw it in. As far as attaching to the lower end of the triple with the number plate, haven't quite figured that out yet. I am guessing I reduced everything by .75 lbs to 1.5lbs, as I used a shaved front fender as well. It was a noticeable difference, but should have, but did not weigh them, as my scale is a bathroom one and not very accurate, with such light weights. 

I have the steel engine guard, which feels actually quite light and was wondering if anyone weighed up the steel one vs. the 86-88 aluminum one ???

The steel one appears to be tubed steel, my educated guess is that the aluminum one is solid and any weight savings would be negligible. 

Still waiting on parts to fix the shifting issues, once I get that sorted, then I will proceed to put on the aluminum swing arm. 

Michael 

You won't save much weight and it is down low and close to the bike's CG so will have little impact on riding, or lifting,  unlike weight that is up higher.   The XR Al skid plate are light gauge and I consider them only brush protectors.   Because I ride in a brushy area I have the 85 XR full coverage plate  (rather than the short 84 plate),  and the rock guards, which total nearly 2.5lbs.

The 315R skid plates are full coverage plates that look like a typical off road aftermarket skid plate, they are also the bottom cradle of the frame and take a beating. My OEM plate was so beat up from rock crashing that it lost some of its curve making it difficult to attach, the HD plate is heavier gauge and should last longer.

90  XR200 rock guard..............1.44lbs  

84  XR200R AL skid plate......  0.76lbs       

85  XR200R AL skid plate....... 1.01lbs     

315R AL skid plate.................. 2.77lbs

315R HD AL skid plate............ 3.77lbs

The 86-88 engine guard is tubular aluminum, not solid aluminum. Bought one off ebay (theyre cheap) for my ultra lightweight 2002 project. Didn't weigh the two to check the actual difference, but the aluminum one is a featherweight compared to the steel.

I have the aluminum one on my 87 and did want to remove it, just to weigh it, looks like I might have to use it, to hit my goal of 210 lbs.

Michael