2014 KX450 whining when hot

Hey guys, I had a 13 KX450 that ran awesome, picked up a new 14 a month ago. It has 9 hours on it and recently doing longer motos, 20 mins+ it starts to whine in the clutch area. My friends does it to and his cases have been split 6 times and they cant find anything. I also heard it was the clutch push rod and there was a recall on it and your supposed to put it on a lathe and thin it out because when it heats up it can starve oil to the bearing. He did this mod and It still squeals. Does anyone have any advice? Maybe ill try running a better oil? Thanks

Edited by MxPro83

Have you noticed any clutch slippage? I herd the clutch is weak.

I just picked up a leftover 13. How did you like your 13 and did u change the triple clamps to a different offset?

Interested in hearing what people have to say about this... I just bought a 14 kx 450 as well... Haven't rode it yet but I'll pay attention and see if I hear anything weird... Was it a dealer recall? Or something they will fix for you only if you asked about it?

I hear it was a recall in the USA only. I called today and they didn't really want to help me. I have a Canadian bike. I want to find out about this.

My 2012 did that also. It started at 12 hours and was still there when I bought my 2013. It was intermittent though and would do it towards the end of the moto, but when I came off the track and leaned over to hear it better it would go away. If you have ever taken an air nozzle and spun a ball bearing with it (stupid I know) that is the noise it would make.

I have s similar noise on my 13. It's worse when the clutch is over worked, like a sand track. I have no cure, but was wondering about this recall?

Yes its a recall, they grind a flat spot on each end of the clutch push rod so it gets oil. Take your out and look at the ignition side of it. Its probly galled and was going metal on metal like mine, They have a recall but I don't know how to put pics and stuff on here. I can email it to someone and they can put it on, Kawasaki usa knows about it, Kawasaki Canada is useless .

I bought a 2014 KX450 about 4 months ago and it does the exact same thing. It did it mainly when I was practicing at a super sand track towards the end of the motos. So does Kawasaki say it's a recall. Wonder if they will fix it under a recall of some sort.

I called my dealer today and he assured me there were no recalls on my bike... I just bought it last Wednesday.... Maybe it's already been fixed? Haha

Man I'm glad someone posted this- it's been driving me crazy...thought I was the only one! On LNG Motos is when the noise starts.... If I'm easy on the clutch when the noise appears, seems to go away..

Would really like some confirmation on the recall, if there is one.

I know MXA talk's about the clutch not lasting and that a temporary fix is to run stiffer clutch springs. Wondering if maybe this has anything to do with the issue?

The weak clutch is the basket notching. I ran 60 hours with stock plates with regular springs. That has nothing to do with the issue. Its the push rod spinning in the clutch actuator bushing. Take out the push rod and scope it out, chances are its galled. Mine was, Only after 20 minute motos or sand tracks it happens.  Right now I guess it wouldn't be a recall, its called the pushrod mod. But will be a recall.

Here it is. Guys,

I have sent this clutch pushrod mod info out to you before, but I thought I better update it since it's popping up a lot lately. Many bikes will have the squealing noise eliminated or reduced by the addition of flats that allow more oil to flow from the grooves towards the center of the pushrod. In stock form the small oil feed holes do not flow enough oil and the ends of the pushrod will gall due to lack of lube where they contact the input shaft bushings. Any galled areas should be smoothed down as well to maintain clearance in the bushings. Ideally the flats should be on both ends of the rod to allow oil to flow completely from end to end and in case the pushrod is ever reversed the next time it is installed. Only 1 flat per end is required to move more oil, however the only downside to grinding more flats seems to be the extra time spent. Not every case of squealing is caused by the pushrod so you may need to look further into the trans for a suspect gear, bushing or bearing. But this seems to be the single most common source of the squealing. Email the photos below to the dealer if it will help explain things. If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.

• Like 3

The weak clutch is the basket notching. I ran 60 hours with stock plates with regular springs. That has nothing to do with the issue. Its the push rod spinning in the clutch actuator bushing. Take out the push rod and scope it out, chances are its galled. Mine was, Only after 20 minute motos or sand tracks it happens.  Right now I guess it wouldn't be a recall, its called the pushrod mod. But will be a recall.

Here it is. Guys,

I have sent this clutch pushrod mod info out to you before, but I thought I better update it since it's popping up a lot lately. Many bikes will have the squealing noise eliminated or reduced by the addition of flats that allow more oil to flow from the grooves towards the center of the pushrod. In stock form the small oil feed holes do not flow enough oil and the ends of the pushrod will gall due to lack of lube where they contact the input shaft bushings. Any galled areas should be smoothed down as well to maintain clearance in the bushings. Ideally the flats should be on both ends of the rod to allow oil to flow completely from end to end and in case the pushrod is ever reversed the next time it is installed. Only 1 flat per end is required to move more oil, however the only downside to grinding more flats seems to be the extra time spent. Not every case of squealing is caused by the pushrod so you may need to look further into the trans for a suspect gear, bushing or bearing. But this seems to be the single most common source of the squealing. Email the photos below to the dealer if it will help explain things. If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.

Thanks for the info. Good to know that you have some time on your clutch with no issues. I just picked up a leftover 2013. Do you have any pic's of how you do this mod?

You guys will have o PM me your emails and I can send you pics. Im not sure how to post them here

Hey im glad im not the only one with this problem. I just bought a 14 and it seems like it happens to start whinning after i jump and either just pull the clutch in coming into a corner? I cant get it to whine driving down the road. And i can make it go away by hitting the back brake so it locks the rear tire up? Any of this sound like your guys problems? I only have about 10 hrs on it

I'm having the same issue with my 14...mystery whining sound that seems to be coming from left side.  Mine started around 2 hours on bike, currently less than 5 hours.  I looked at the push rod & it was showing minor wear.  I talked to my dealer this week & he said there were not recalls or factory repair orders.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  ssiers835@aol.com

Edited by ssiers835

Hey im glad im not the only one with this problem. I just bought a 14 and it seems like it happens to start whinning after i jump and either just pull the clutch in coming into a corner? I cant get it to whine driving down the road. And i can make it go away by hitting the back brake so it locks the rear tire up? Any of this sound like your guys problems? I only have about 10 hrs on it

Crazy thing is I noticed it also when I was riding yesterday. When I would hit the back brake it would make it go away for awhile. It is definitely a heat related issue. For a while there I thought maybe I was dragging my back brake too much and it was overheating. Weird how hitting the back brake would cause it to go away. I'm stumped.

Mines getting louder, and at 15 hrs, feel the clutch slipping.. :(

I'll pull the clutch cover in the next day or so, and take a look at the push rod, & fibers. Does the push rod have to be machined, or can I use a small file?