Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke clutch: not stock or rekluse

I'm having a lot of trouble getting my 04 300 EXC to hook up. I've rebuilt the carb/jetting/float height, put in the red spring, new plug, new coil, 175 compression, and new twin air. So, next in going to replace the clutch, but I've heard bad things about the stock clutch and I'm not interested in an auto clutch on the 2 stroke. Does anyone recommend a high performance clutch for a do it all bike? Thanks.

nothing wrong with stock, in fact i wouldnt buy any other plates than stock..I do have/had Rekluse's and they work well

Thanks, Mike, but I'm asking for advice on not stock and not Rekluse.

I think what he was saying is his advice for "not stock" is Don't. "Not stock" options are not worth mentioning. That's what I got out of it, and I agree.

Edited by Trailryder42

I think what he was saying his advice for "not stock" is Don't. "Not stock" options are not worth mentioning. That's what I got out of it, and I agree.

Thank you; very helpful.

I certainly welcome all opinions, but would appreciate a little depth behind them.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting my 04 300 EXC to hook up. I've rebuilt the carb/jetting/float height, put in the red spring, new plug, new coil, 175 compression, and new twin air. So, next in going to replace the clutch, but I've heard bad things about the stock clutch and I'm not interested in an auto clutch on the 2 stroke. Does anyone recommend a high performance clutch for a do it all bike? Thanks.

The stock clutch plates are the way to go. With regards to your bike not hooking up, the red spring is going to shift the power valve opening earlier, so if you are having trouble with the bike hooking up, try the yellow spring. You could always mess with gearing changes, too. If the clutch isn't slipping, then you are throwing money away with looking for aftermarket plates. There are a bunch of different avenues that you could go down.

The stock clutch plates are the way to go. With regards to your bike not hooking up, the red spring is going to shift the power valve opening earlier, so if you are having trouble with the bike hooking up, try the yellow spring. You could always mess with gearing changes, too. If the clutch isn't slipping, then you are throwing money away with looking for aftermarket plates. There are a bunch of different avenues that you could go down.

I can't get the bike to wheelie except in 1st and I completely rev it out. I was hoping the red spring would give it more power sooner and help this. I'm running stock gearing and the sprockets are new and chain to spec. Do you have any other recommendations?

Hmm, never have had issues with getting the front wheel off the ground on any of my three hundreds, rekluse equipped. Might want to preload the suspension? I would try messing with the power valve spring preload, too.

Edited by orangyktmthing

Hmm, never have had issues with getting the front wheel off the ground on any of my three hundreds, rekluse equipped. Might want to preload the suspension? I would try messing with the power valve spring preload, too.

Yeah, I'm at a loss here...

Your question is kinda vague? wont hook up like clutch is slipping or tire is slipping? If your clutch is slipping is it adjusted properly? If it is then ya replace the fibers for sure and inspect the steels and basket. I would think something is def wrong If you cant get the wheel up in 2nd gear. my 200 will go over backwards in a second in 2nd gear.

Your question is kinda vague? wont hook up like clutch is slipping or tire is slipping? If your clutch is slipping is it adjusted properly? If it is then ya replace the fibers for sure and inspect the steels and basket. I would think something is def wrong If you cant get the wheel up in 2nd gear. my 200 will go over backwards in a second in 2nd gear.

Neither is slipping, it just doesn't seem to have any ass behind it until the RPMs are totally maxed out for a good 3 seconds.

Hinson is as good as it gets for a full manual!

maybe for baskets and pressure plates but a lot of people prefer OEM fibers. Myself included

maybe for baskets and pressure plates but a lot of people prefer OEM fibers. Myself included

That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. As am I and my opinion is that Hinson makes the best clutch components on the market. Now if only your opinion meant anything in this thread. I simply answered the OP's question and Hinson is every bit as good as stock. I have had very good results with them. Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 2

I really don't know how to check that... Is it something easy that I can YouTube?

Pretty easy to check. Pull the power valve gear cover off the left side of the cyl. Then start the bike and rev it up. The little gears under the cover should move up and down with the revs, using up all or most of the travel as they do so.

Pretty easy to check. Pull the power valve gear cover off the left side of the cyl. Then start the bike and rev it up. The little gears under the cover should move up and down with the revs, using up all or most of the travel as they do so.

Ok thanks