Sign in to follow this  

Yz250, yz250f, or yz450f?

Hey guys. So i am looking into what might be my choice for my next bike! I am not going to sell my yz125 anytime soon but i do like to have a decision made just because it motivates me through my work. So I just wanted to know the pros and cons of 250 two strokes, 4 strokes, and 450s. I ride mainly trails but i do go up to the local track a few times a month. I'm 5'11", 170lbs and still growing. Btw im 14. So here are the reasons why i like and dislike each bike and basically why im caught in between them.

First, the 250 two stroke.

- I do love two strokes but i also like to just go slow sometimes when on the trails and i cant really do that on my 125. That is whats holding me back from a 250t; having to pin it all the time

Second, 250 four stroke

- I like the idea of having a 4 stroke thats easy to handle, but does it have much more power than a 125t and will i easily grow out of it?

Finally, 450 four stroke

- this is the bike i would like to get but i have heard that they absolutely SUCK on trails! If they truly fo (and you have experience) let me know.

Thanks for reading! And btw, what would be the total cost for a top end rebuild on a 4 stroke?

Get the 250f, 250 2 is a good choice but the 450f is a really heavy bike for trails. good luck on the find

Hey guys. So i am looking into what might be my choice for my next bike! I am not going to sell my yz125 anytime soon but i do like to have a decision made just because it motivates me through my work. So I just wanted to know the pros and cons of 250 two strokes, 4 strokes, and 450s. I ride mainly trails but i do go up to the local track a few times a month. I'm 5'11", 170lbs and still growing. Btw im 14. So here are the reasons why i like and dislike each bike and basically why im caught in between them.

First, the 250 two stroke.

- I do love two strokes but i also like to just go slow sometimes when on the trails and i cant really do that on my 125. That is whats holding me back from a 250t; having to pin it all the time

Second, 250 four stroke

- I like the idea of having a 4 stroke thats easy to handle, but does it have much more power than a 125t and will i easily grow out of it?

Finally, 450 four stroke

- this is the bike i would like to get but i have heard that they absolutely SUCK on trails! If they truly fo (and you have experience) let me know.

Thanks for reading! And btw, what would be the total cost for a top end rebuild on a 4 stroke?

Just curious as to why you say you have to pin it all the time on a 2stroke. I follow my my 6 yr old daughter around on her 50cc quad for hours at a time. I have a 03 kx 250 and mostly letting her lead the way.

Get the 250f, 250 2 is a good choice but the 450f is a really heavy bike for trails. good luck on the find

So the 250f will have decent power?

Just curious as to why you say you have to pin it all the time on a 2stroke. I follow my my 6 yr old daughter around on her 50cc quad for hours at a time. I have a 03 kx 250 and mostly letting her lead the way.

Im just goin off of my bike. If i go slow i'll either foul a plug or i'll have to listen to that god aweful sound it makes in low rpms

Im just goin off of my bike. If i go slow i'll either foul a plug or i'll have to listen to that god aweful sound it makes in low rpms

Fouling is a jetting issue. Once you've got that dialed in, it will "idle" just like a 4t. 250 2t is a fairly big jump from a 125. I think a 250f would be a good transition bike though. Little more power and still fairly light ta boot. Be careful though people tend to unload 250 4t. I've worked on a few of my friends bikes. instead of keeping up on the maintenance they were bought/sold by my friends. Can be costly

Fouling is a jetting issue. Once you've got that dialed in, it will "idle" just like a 4t. 250 2t is a fairly big jump from a 125. I think a 250f would be a good transition bike though. Little more power and still fairly light ta boot. Be careful though people tend to unload 250 4t. I've worked on a few of my friends bikes. instead of keeping up on the maintenance they were bought/sold by my friends. Can be costly

Yeah even if i dont foul a plug it just isn't smoothe. I'll look more into the 250f's any other ideas?

Yeah even if i dont foul a plug it just isn't smoothe. I'll look more into the 250f's any other ideas?

Look for a hour meter. That shows the attempt to maintain the bike.

I suggest you try and find someone with a 250 2t and try it. Trails are about all I use my KX 250 for mostly following around my 11 year old son. I don’t have experience with the 4t but I know my KX 250 is a completely different bike than my RM125 was. If you haven’t tried one I highly suggest you do before making up your mind. I like being able to put around with a light, good handling bike and then when I want to scare myself I can just twist the throttle.

So the 250f will have decent power?

yeah, it'll have decent power, a 250f is comparable to a 125 2 stroke. A 450f is comparable to a 250 2 stroke. I'd say go for the 250f and if you still want 2 stroke, go 250

Try the search function for answers. 10 threads a day are started about this same crap....

If i can post a topic specifically for the choices im deciding on and people will respond with helpful information then why not?

If i can post a topic specifically for the choices im deciding on and people will respond with helpful information then why not?

No point in debating with the big headed! Point and case, there are 10,000 threads like yours with the same needs......

No point in debating with the big headed! Point and case, there are 10,000 threads like yours with the same needs......

Alright well less work for me

2 thumbs up ^

I understand where you're coming from. Powerwise the 250F was designed to be a match for the 125 2T, and the 450F for the 250 2T. But the 2T power delivery and performance is totally different from a 4T. And when you get up to a 450F, the weight really begins to become a factor, harder to change direction, pull it out of mud holes. You let off the gas with a 2T and it just coasts on. Let off the gas on a 4T and you get engine braking, which is useful in setting up for a turn.

I'm a 58yo vet, and the 250F is perfect for an old guy like me who sits at a desk all week and dreams of the good ol' days, wishing for the weekend to arrive. No huge power surprise, no back wrenching jerks, and less weight. Yet I can get the front end up any time under power only.

After almost 40 years of riding, these 250F bikes today are some of the best I've ridden.

A 250 2T is a very good option to move up and has a lot of power, must be respected; same for a 450F; 40+ hp.

If tight woods are your deal, then stick with a 250 size. If you don't have an issue with mixing gas/oil, then 2T, if that's becoming a hastle, then 4T.

I've owned and like 2 KTM 300 EXCs and they were great, expecially the '98. Best in offroad suspension in my opinion. You could sit down and be FAST in comfort... '98 the only 2T I was fast on. But I had to let them go because the power when they came on the pipe could be a hand full. I could tell I was going to get hurt if I kept them. There comes a point when your reflexs aren't fast enough any more.

Get something you can grow in to and gain skills, but weight that against getting hurt. You are young and have a long time to ride many different bikes. Enjoy the trek. Don't get a bike that will hurt you.

• Like 3

2 thumbs up ^

I understand where you're coming from. Powerwise the 250F was designed to be a match for the 125 2T, and the 450F for the 250 2T. But the 2T power delivery and performance is totally different from a 4T. And when you get up to a 450F, the weight really begins to become a factor, harder to change direction, pull it out of mud holes. You let off the gas with a 2T and it just coasts on. Let off the gas on a 4T and you get engine braking, which is useful in setting up for a turn.

I'm a 58yo vet, and the 250F is perfect for an old guy like me who sits at a desk all week and dreams of the good ol' days, wishing for the weekend to arrive. No huge power surprise, no back wrenching jerks, and less weight. Yet I can get the front end up any time under power only.

After almost 40 years of riding, these 250F bikes today are some of the best I've ridden.

A 250 2T is a very good option to move up and has a lot of power, must be respected; same for a 450F; 40+ hp.

If tight woods are your deal, then stick with a 250 size. If you don't have an issue with mixing gas/oil, then 2T, if that's becoming a hastle, then 4T.

I've owned and like 2 KTM 300 EXCs and they were great, expecially the '98. Best in offroad suspension in my opinion. You could sit down and be FAST in comfort... '98 the only 2T I was fast on. But I had to let them go because the power when they came on the pipe could be a hand full. I could tell I was going to get hurt if I kept them. There comes a point when your reflexs aren't fast enough any more.

Get something you can grow in to and gain skills, but weight that against getting hurt. You are young and have a long time to ride many different bikes. Enjoy the trek. Don't get a bike that will hurt you.

so true, you would basically be fighting the 450s power instead of using it. A 250 2t with a fww, pipe, reeds, and a bigger sprocket makes for a wicked trail bike. A 250f makes a pretty good trail bike if set up right, the engine braking is a definite help for sure.

2 thumbs up ^

Thanks for the info!

For the track I had a KTM250sxf, then YZ450F, now a YZ250F. Like the 4 stroke power and traction, don't like the vibes of a big bore.

For off-road I had a KTM400, then a couple of 300's, a 250F, and even tried the YZ450 a bit, now a KTM 200. I won't go back to a big bore it's too much work to fight the power and weight in the tight stuff, and would  would not consider a 250F without e-start. If nothing changes my mind, my next tree threader will be a KTM150XC.

A 250 2T is great for off-road, but a handful for some on the track, depends on your skill and style. Admittedly the new FI bikes would probably be much better. I couldn't tell you how many times I flamed out that 250F by letting the rpm's drop and blipping the throttle for some obstacle, then wear by butt out kicking it because it was running too hot.

Thinking you're going to "out grow" a 250F is crazy talk. Odds are you'll learn to be a faster rider by having a 250F because you learn to keep your speed thru the turns and not ride lazy, expecting the massive mid-range to compensate.