Sign in to follow this  

bike choice question: crf 150rb right for my son?

My son has outgrown his crf100, he is a big for his age (11 turning 12) 5'6" , 155 lbs (and growing).  Hes ridden for 3-4 years but nothing extreme, trail rides with dad kind of stuff.  I don't want to intimidate him with a bike thats got too much power etc. But I also want him not to outgrow this bike in a year either. He is not interested in competition at this point.

thanks for any feedback

Matt

I've had a cr85rb, being 6'3" I was capable of riding it. He should be good with as long as you get the big wheel. If he can go with you to see it then thats your best bet. Whats the worst that can happen? You get there and he's intimidated, then you know for sure. 

Be aware of what you are getting into.

My son rode on the trails with a 150R for a couple of years.  We started with an R, then turned it into an RB.  It can work well on the trails, but might take some modification to do so.  For my son it was the right bike because he is a fairly aggressive rider and so the better motor and suspension of the R made it work for him.  You will and should do more maintenance such as oil and air filter changes and the like on an R.  The titanium intake valves could require replacement during your ownership, so be aware of that as that is fairly costly to have it done correctly.  My son's bike is a 2008 with 3 riding seasons on it and there is no sign of valve movement yet.

The only other option in the Honda line are the F bikes which is similar to his CRF100 (no radiator).  150F or 230F.  Your son is already too big for the 150F, so only the 230F would be an option.  The F bikes have about 1/3 the horsepower of the 150R.  They are great on the trails and require much less maintenance than the 150R.  They are, however, heavy and although they will pull like a tractor with great torque, they aren't what you might call 'powerful'.  If you think you son might want to ride even fairly hard, this might not be your best long-term choice.  There are those that have changed the 230F into a competent enduro race bike (www.coeshow.com), but I think they have a lot of money into it to do so.

Hope this is helpful.  It can be a tough call.  A bike that can get the front tire up in the first 3 gears with a twist of the throttle, or one that can barely get the front tire up at all...

Edited by dsrpilot
  • Like 1

My son has outgrown his crf100, he is a big for his age (11 turning 12) 5'6" , 155 lbs (and growing).  Hes ridden for 3-4 years but nothing extreme, trail rides with dad kind of stuff.  I don't want to intimidate him with a bike thats got too much power etc. But I also want him not to outgrow this bike in a year either. He is not interested in competition at this point.

thanks for any feedback

Matt

Size wise both the F and RB are too small or will be very shortly. The R has a smaller cockpit than the F. I would look into a 250x or r which are both just as easy to set-up as the 150rb. If you are open to 2t, KTM 200's are great bikes. As stated above any of the 4t trail bikes will be heavy, ill equipped suspension but durable. These will also be cheaper to buy. The plus for a 250x is all the 250r motor parts can drop in to give more power when needed in years to come. Suspension drop and a seat cut will place this bike in a respectable seat height for him.

• Like 1

My son has outgrown his crf100, he is a big for his age (11 turning 12) 5'6" , 155 lbs (and growing). Hes ridden for 3-4 years but nothing extreme, trail rides with dad kind of stuff. I don't want to intimidate him with a bike thats got too much power etc. But I also want him not to outgrow this bike in a year either. He is not interested in competition at this point.

thanks for any feedback

Matt

hate to bust your bubble but he's already too big for that bike. Big wheel/ small wheel it doesn't matter. The seat to peg height is the same as any 85. Tall seat, tall bars and clamps just makes them too heavy and weird handling. If trail ridden only I'd look towards klx125l or crf230 something in that realm Edited by mxracermx

I would go with a 150F even if it for just a short time. Best way to step it up on the harder trails with out going to big (250X).

He may only ride it for a short time (5-6 months) but will have enough power to get out and learn to ride roots and rocks.

He will be ready for a bigger bike soon but the 150F will give him time to learn maintenance and gain riding skills.

thanks everyone for the replies, we are going to have a close look at a 230F on the weekend, we'll see how he fits it.  We don't need the performance of the R/RB....at least not yet

• Like 2

thanks everyone for the replies, we are going to have a close look at a 230F on the weekend, we'll see how he fits it. We don't need the performance of the R/RB....at least not yet

Good call, keep it fun and exciting

thanks everyone for the replies, we are going to have a close look at a 230F on the weekend, we'll see how he fits it.  We don't need the performance of the R/RB....at least not yet

Just wanted to throw in another   :thumbsup: for the 230F.  That will last him a lifetime regarding endurance and size.  It is heavy however, even for a large 11 year old.  In any case, look at the 150 and 230F bikes as your options.  prefect trail machines for being chased by Dad on the trails..

I just wanted to say that I was once in a similar situation when I was younger. I had a ttr110 which was to small for me so my dad bought me a new klx140. The bike fit me well, but after many mods(sprockets, carb, exhaust, etc.) the bike still didn't have enough power. I ended up selling it after a little over a year and buying a crf150rb. My advice is to not waste your time on another trail bike that your son will get bored with.