Sign in to follow this  

7 yo ready to move off TTR50

He's been riding two years this summer and looks a little silly on his TTR50. It is too small for him at this point. He's 4'2", about 55 lbs and all leg! He can sit flat footed on my sister in law's TTR90, and he can hold it up but probably not pick it up. He can pick his 50 up.
I'm over Yamaha bikes.  I'm not happy with the suspension or gearing on my TTR125. He can't shift the stiff shifter on his 50 and rides in 2nd pretty much all the time. My husband love his KTM, and naturally the boys want what Daddy has. We're not a brand-loyal family, and are open to whatever bike is affordable, reliable and will meet his needs.
I just want a good next step that will last him 2-3 years before moving my younger son onto it. We'd buy used. We ride trails in the PNW, with no interest in racing or riding tracks. Weekends we don't get out to the trails, he rides in the yard. All day.
1526144_10152801690909126_72774389885518

IMHO, PW80 is a great bike, super cheap to buy used, solid as a rock, can be made to grow with the rider for cheap, so easy to shift. Oil injection makes pre-mix unnecessary.

And will still be running when your next kid grows into it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still running when your grand kids grow into it.

• Like 1

PW 80, CRF 70 or CRF 80 will be easy to ride and shift and be reliable.  KTMs are race bikes, and will take more gas, oil, and wear parts.

• Like 1

We borrowed my sister in law's TTR90 and he's rocking it. It's a little big for him and it's tearing the yard up more, but he's pretty happy and confident on it.

We'll probably stick with it this summer at least since she's not riding it much, and she can ride my TTR125 if she wants to since I'm not allowed to ride until my leg heals completely.

If you're sick of yamaha, the kawasaki klx110L would be good. It's a 4 speed, and the L model has a manual clutch so he could be used to that before he moves to a bigger bike. That was my first bike and it served me well

Edited by matt-h7
  • Like 1

IMHO, PW80 is a great bike, super cheap to buy used, solid as a rock, can be made to grow with the rider for cheap, so easy to shift. Oil injection makes pre-mix unnecessary.

And will still be running when your next kid grows into it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still running when your grand kids grow into it.

Agreed! My 7yr old is loving his PW80! It's about the same size as the TT-R90 but it seems to have a little more pep for the little guy....I took the little PW for a spin around the block today after washing it....I can see why my kid likes it so much! It moves my 190lb carcass around with ease! My 50lb son must love the little boost it has!!! :ride:

• Like 1

We found a decent deal on a TTR90 and bought it. He's been on it all summer, and is happy with it. I expect that he'll be on my TTR125 by 11.

I was thrilled to move my 5 yo off the PW50 and onto the TTR50 the same summer, so I was able to sell the PW50 to offset the cost of the 90!