Sign in to follow this  

Lifting bike onto work stand

How do you lift the Pig onto the work stand?

Thinking of investing in a $100 motorcycle lift Harbor Freight.
I'm not strong like Scott Summers.

Edited by Terminatr

Start lifting weights, focus on deadlifts and shoulder press, buy the lift or disassemble and reassemble on the work bench. Good luck...come alone rigged off the rafters maybe??

Edited by matty86suk

Don't try to lift it like an MX bike, where you'd lift the whole bike from the side and then set it on the stand.  Unless you're Scott Summers.  I lift from the top of the front wheel and let the bike pivot upward on the rear wheel, then shift the bike sideways onto the stand.

Even on my lift I have to huck the pig up a bit.

When my body is pissed from something I did during the weekend,(like broken ribs last week,,that sucks!)... I roll the rear wheel on a 4X4 block of wood then slide the lift under it.

make a simple lift yourself......

p1000711.jpg

Edited by reduceus

I just lift mine up like a motocross bike. For me, it's not that difficult. My bike weighs roughly 312lb and I don't struggle too much. Now I DO struggle when I lay the bike on it's side. That bike then becomes my worst friend.

make a simple lift yourself......

p1000711.jpg

That's probably a stronger and more stable design than most factory made stands.  If it used a mechanical screw design bottle jack, instead of hydraulic, there also wouldn't be any worry of it bleeding off over time.  Not that it's a big concern.

It was made from simple square section metal and angle iron - sorry no plans - it was just a suck it and see job. Had it for 6 years now and never had an issue. Show the picture to anyone who can weld and you can knock it up in less than an hour. If you really want me to will measure it  will.... and may even take a couple more pictures

Edited by reduceus

It was made from simple square section metal and angle iron - sorry no plans - it was just a suck it and see job. Had it for 6 years now and never had an issue. Show the picture to anyone who can weld and you can knock it up in less than an hour. If you really want me to will measure it  will.... and may even take a couple more pictures

As soon as I saw your picture, I walked out to the shed to measure what sizes of square tubing I had.  And I found an old Toyota screw bottle jack, which is what made me think of using that.  My only addition might be a small shelf or tray about half way up the legs as a convenient place for bolts, spanners, etc.  I found a piece of expanded metal grating that might make a good top which wouldn't collect any spilled oil.  My oil changes tend to involve a thorough lubrication of the exterior of the engine and exhaust.

As long as you have two sizes of square and one slides inside the other you are good to go 

I have one of those stands with a lever on the side. Stash it under the bike, Step on the lever, fine tune the fit, then put all my weight on the lever and up comes the bike.

To drop her I typically brace the bike with one hand and use the free and to pull up on the lever a bit and she drops. With the soft suspension she doesn't bounce and is very controllable.

It's very slick and the only other kind I'd consider are the ones with a curved front and you push/ride the bike forward with the stand underneath, the stand gets wedged between the ground and the bike with the forward motion the bike gets lifted up until the stand is on its' flat bottom. Never used one; but looks slick.

I might be able to man handle one up on a basic stand, probably fairly easy now that I have wolfman side racks on her; but with my back why chance it?

Ed Eertfelder explained how to do it in an article either in Cycle or Dirt Rider after he started riding an XR650L.  It works very well and is the method that I use, with a slight modification.  I already discussed it here once before: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/953166-how-fast-can-you-swap-both-wheels/

Basically, he suggested that you get a block of wood about four inches high, put the sidestand onto it, pull the bike toward you with one wheel still on the ground and the sidestand levering the rest of it up, then use a stick of some sort to slide the stand under the bike.  My variation is to push the bike away from me and use my foot to push the stand under the bike.  It's easy, it's cheap, and it's quick.

The image Ed Hertfelder used for the last few years that he was still writing articles.  He's still my favorite all time motorcycle writer, closely followed by Kevin Cameron.

hertfelder.gif

Here is a wood version of the bottle jack lift I made.

I am bring back an old one. Here is my version on the "poor man's lift stand." Thanks OP for the great idea. The stand works great!

2014-04-07_22-26-12_386_zps0195a61c.jpg

2014-04-07_22-26-36_11_zps8851b172.jpg

2014-04-07_21-31-50_564_zps9c25cfa7.jpg

2014-04-07_21-30-56_232_zps63bb3550.jpg