Sign in to follow this  

Neck braces

Hey guys ive never ridden with a neck brace. Ive always thought they were uncomfortable. I just recently saw my buddy go to the hospital over a neck injury and i was just curious as to if they really do work. One of my buddies is getting rid of an atlas neck brace and i was wondering if those are well made braces.

They are weird getting used to if you never wore one. I have the astars bionic and it's pretty comfortable now. And they do work. It is still possible to get a neck injury but it's greatly reduced. they move most of the force to your collar bone so you break that instead of your neck.

They are weird getting used to if you never wore one. I have the astars bionic and it's pretty comfortable now. And they do work. It is still possible to get a neck injury but it's greatly reduced. they move most of the force to your collar bone so you break that instead of your neck.

do you notice a difference when you wipeout without it and with it? Is your neck alot less sore in the morning? Haha

I have a Leatt, took awhile to get used to it as previously stated, however now I won't ride without it, it feels weird when I don't wear it.

I bought a EVS Revolutiong for $39 on eBay brand new. It was some type of closeout and I posted the link here and a bunch of guys bought one. As far as comfort goes, I have never noticed it. From day one, I just put it on and rode and it's never even been a thought.

My Leatt is comfortable. I notice it alright when I put it on but the second I'm on the bike I don't notice. I wouldn't ride without one. They CAN'T hurt you. They can only help. But how much, idk.

There are no studies showing neck braces prevent neck injuries in any way. In fact you could say they put you at an increased risk to break your collarbone. Your neck is very flexible. Go ahead....touch your neck to your chest and shoulders. Even less room to move with a helmet on. Serious neck injuries happen from compression fractures which moto neck braces don't prevent at all. Neck braces work in sports where you're not constantly moving about....like car racing.

Just look at that gap and tell me how that prevents a compression fracture?

http://www.ppsmoto.com/pps-content/uploads/2012/07/alpinestars-bns-neck-brace-review-11.jpg

• Like 1

I bought a EVS Revolutiong for $39 on eBay brand new. It was some type of closeout and I posted the link here and a bunch of guys bought one. As far as comfort goes, I have never noticed it. From day one, I just put it on and rode and it's never even been a thought.

Yeah, thanks again for the link. I have tested mine a few times and believe that it does in fact work.

I am 46 years old and had a pretty good get off at my local MX track last Saturday. I highside over a berm and landed on my right shoulder. I was wearing a Leate brace. Every part of my body that the brace covers hurt's so bad can't go to work now! I'm wondering if I would've been less hurt if I wasn't wearing one? What you guys think?

This topic has received plenty of attention.  Here are some recent links that offer diverse input.  First order of business, is a neck brace worth wearing?  I say yes, others say maybe, others say no.  It is personal choice.  Lots of arguments pro and con in the links below if you are interested, the overwhelming majority from honest people with strong feelings.  As for the Atlas being well made (to your question OP) I have seen nothing that would indicate they are not well made.  As MNKayaker points out above, there isn't a whole lot of evidence out there about the brace, just marketing.  As you will see if you read the links below, he takes as strong an interest in this subject as I and many others do.  I agree with MNKayaker that some definitive evidence would be helpful.  In the meantime, my son will wear a brace this racing season because my interpretation of the evidence available to me is that neck braces reduce the odds of catastrophic injury.  That said, I will continue to listen, and you should, too.  Ride safe  :ride:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1046591-thank-you-leatt/?hl=%2Bleatt

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1012852-neck-brace-yes-no/?hl=%2Bneck+%2Bbrace

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/935450-to-neck-brace-or-not-to-neck-brace/?hl=%2Bneck+%2Bbrace