Sign in to follow this  

magic OIL that we should use ?

Mx481 not a good thread lol. And im sure that stuff is great but i have over 100hrs on my reg 13 450 with rotella change my oil every 5gal of gas. Imo that stuff is retardedly over priced. An the funny thing is ktm owns husky now and they own belray, and what oil do u think is recomended in the new huskys? Bel ray!!! I dont believe for a second that it makes a diffrence. Really its just become commical

Really, just think about it.....

-I sell KTMs

-I own KTMs

-Therefor, its in MY best interest to sell you on KTMs.....pretty crazy eh?

And to sell you anything KTM related.....

KTM themselves sent out a study, done by KTM, about how its beneficial to use Motorex in their engines which coincidentally comes stock in KTMs......hmmmmmmmm

No kidding monk. Ktm owns husky. The new husky is identical to the new ktms. So why wouldnt they say to use motorex?husky is now part owners of belray.so now the best oil is belray for your ktm/husky motor

I understand if you like the oil you use, don't take it personal ( just passing it on ) lol I called a ktm and husky dealer and asked if any of the belray motor oils would work with my ktm . He said no belray now has a motor oil for husky/ktm's ... so take it for what it's worth... my dealer called ktm and said it's true and the husky/shop told me not to run just any belray oil in my bike... oil is penny's with cost of are bikes and gear and fuel -bike and vehicle, tires , well just about everything cost more then oil lol I change motor oil every 5 hours so 11 bucks in oil instead of 4 bucks for diesel oil ,unless you use t6 then then 7 bucks ... 11-7= 4 ....   11-4= 7   that's not a lunch out, we spend more then that for drinks heading too the track... you guys might be right but for 4 to 7 dollars a oil change I don't mind being wrong...     

mxboy what fuel are you using ? I was thinking about trying vp 4T not for more power just better running and engine life.

10hr oil changes on my 13' 250SXF with Motul 300V 10W40... so we're talking nothing remotely in-line with KTM's philosophy.

Yet, there was only a small bit of wear on the plain bearing journal on the upper part of the rod with 110hrs on the clock, WAY past the specified time for piston replacement. Nowhere else was there a lick of wear, everything was perfect. Not a scratch on the DLC coatings of the rocker arms or cam's. The cylinder walls looked brand new, not even a scratch on them and the cross cut looked like it was just put on. Heck, even the coatings on the piston were still in tact as if the piston had been installed a few hours prior.

So no, I don't believe for one second that you need a special oil, or special weight on these modern motorcycles with plain bearings.

Oh my goodness, get whatever's on sale and make sure it's a name brand, and also make sure that it's compatible with wet clutches. Valvoline, Quaker State, Amsoil, practically all the same.

I've run mobil Delvac in all my KTMs since 2008 with no probs (and I've cracked all of the motors open to know).

gentleman not telling you not to use what ever makes you happy. :ride: just reporting what I read and was told lol.... I do fined that some dirt bike riders are on the cheap side unless it's a pipe or graphics, :lol: sorry couldn't help myself.... tye if you had no wear with your motor why didn't you install a new piston and cam chain and not put yourself though that 5 month ordeal ? 

Edited by mx481

Mx481 im using right now vp u4.4. Definitly not for everyone. Its bery expensive. Well to throw a wrench in this thread i was told by a very reputable pro riders mechanic to use maxima 530mx. Cant say which team cause there major oil company would lawyer up quick. So just got a case well c how it goes

thanks mxboy , yes that's more fuel then I need ,power wise. mxboy factory teams look for great performance ,not long term longevity. their  bikes are new every race... when people talk about a 110 hour bike that isn't that many hours yet.... a oil engineer very experienced in motorcycle race engines told me with the right oil and solid maintenance are motors should last 350/400 hours ... I'm giving it a go lol

tye if you had no wear with your motor why didn't you install a new piston and cam chain and not put yourself though that 5 month ordeal ?

Because the service manual said so (based on the hours) and I do preventative maintenance, not "ohh shit my motor just blew up" maintenance. ;)

Considering its the highest strung motor KTM has ever released to the public, I figured it would be wise to follow their instructions.

I tried the OEM oil, bike ran like shit. It literally didn't run well at all... I dumped it after 2hrs of running.

I then tried Motul 7100 10W60 and it ran better then the OE oil, but it still ran like shit, it would loose power at the upper RPM range.

So I went back to my Motul 300V 10W40 and it revs to the moon!

Only thing I can think of is the thicker oil builds up more pressure in the crankcases due to better sealing on the piston rings.

Edited by tye1138

mxboy what fuel are you using ? I was thinking about trying vp 4T not for more power just better running and engine life.

Do you mean VP T4? I just started running that last year because I was having issues with fuel filters and injectors using pump fuel and Lucas stabilizer. It's expensive stuff but worth not having those same issues. This past wknd I cut the T4 with premium 93 50/50 for the first time and the bike seemed to run just the same for the two days. I'll see how it continues to run over the next couple months.

Mx481 im using right now vp u4.4. Definitly not for everyone. Its bery expensive. Well to throw a wrench in this thread i was told by a very reputable pro riders mechanic to use maxima 530mx. Cant say which team cause there major oil company would lawyer up quick. So just got a case well c how it goes

U4 is leaded right? Do you know anyone using that or leaded C12 in FI bikes? I was wondering if the lead causes any injection problems. If I don't have to worry about lead I will try AV gas from Allaire airport. I know a lot of guys with two strokes use it from there.

sean yes , thank you. having the same issues with sunoco 260

tye, why not follow ktm on oil changes and piston and cam chain replacement  ( I figured it would be wise to follow their instructions) if so your rod most likely would have shown no wear... I'm glad you have her back together and thank you for letting us know it didn't need a full rebuild .... 110 hours on a piston in that bike was playing with fire don't you think?

tye, why not follow ktm on oil changes and piston and cam chain replacement  ( I figured it would be wise to follow their instructions) if so your rod most likely would have shown no wear... I'm glad you have her back together and thank you for letting us know it didn't need a full rebuild .... 110 hours on a piston in that bike was playing with fire don't you think?

Well, I just figured with the plain bearings, it made sense for them to run a log longer.

For sure its good to know that with a vet rider, you don't need to follow the re-build timing suggestions put forward by KTM. Again, this is my first KTM 4 stroke dirt bike. So I just assumed it was more fragile then it seems and honestly, it really wasn't.

I didn't think the piston being worn would have any consequences. It wasn't burning oil, the oil wasn't getting dirty and it was running fine. Usually I don't replace a piston on any motor unless there is loss of compression, piston knock or the other things I mentioned above.

• Like 1

The old needle OEM bearing in the 450/505 DOHC motors are garbage,replacing them with the ProX bottom end kit eliminates any issues no matter what good oil you end up using.No need to use the super pricy motored 10-60 to keep your bottom end intact...