Sign in to follow this  

Where to buy AV gas near Louisville ky?

Ok I called the local airport and they referred me to a place that would fuel up your "plane" but other than that they laughed me off the phone when I said putting it in a 5 gallon for "racing applications" I'm lost I really don't care about using av gas but what I really want to use it for is a good fuel to store the bike with during the winter. No nasty ethanol to gunk the carb ect. If anyone knows anything about where to get it in the Louisville area in ky or hell anywhere in ky please let me know.

Don't put av gas in your bike... Unless you want problems. Spend the extra $ for vp.

what's wrong with av gas? Vp is expensive

Avgas if designed for high altitude steady rpm engines. Exact opposite of a dirt bike. It contains antifreeze and silicate chemicals that damage seals and leave deposits. It contains almost 2 grams of lead per gallon. Use at your own risk.

Avgas has lead in it. That's why they call it 110LL. The lead is used to lubricate the valves. I would imagine that avgas would ruin an engine designed for unleaded fuel

LL is low lead....all gasolines used to be leaded, it lubricates the valves, seats and upper cylinder. It is also toxic and was eliminated from use in the 70s for passenger cars. I still wouldnt use AV, but it wont ruin an engine..

LL is low lead....all gasolines used to be leaded, it lubricates the valves, seats and upper cylinder. It is also toxic and was eliminated from use in the 70s for passenger cars. I still wouldnt use AV, but it wont ruin an engine..

Since I am a pilot and also over fifty I am aware of that.  What fI was saying is that modern engines are designed to run on unleaded fuel and if you use fuel with lead in it, it's not going to end well for your engine.  In cars it will turn the catalitic converter into a lump and mess up the O2 sensors.  It will also build up lead deposits inside the engine.  For some reason 110LL also seens to acumalate moisture at an alarming rate and I would never leave leaded fuel in the tank.  At the very least leaded fuel will foul the plugs.

For some reason 110LL also seens to acumalate moisture at an alarming rate and I would never leave leaded fuel in the tank.  At the very least leaded fuel will foul the plugs.

This I didn't know! What is it about it that collects the water?

Why would it foul plugs?

Assuming the op is storing a bike I wasn't worried about the cats and sensors.

This I didn't know! What is it about it that collects the water?

Why would it foul plugs?

Assuming the op is storing a bike I wasn't worried about the cats and sensors.

this is also a two stroke not really many sensors lol. That I am aware of. Lol i was just looking for a good storage fuel but I found so ethanol free fuel. It's low octane and not 92 but it will serve the purpose of just storage during the winter.

Still...why not store it dry, or do you start it occasionaly?

I was always told not to store it dry to keep seals in good shape

Still...why not store it dry, or do you start it occasionaly?

and gaskets*