Sign in to follow this  

starts really hard cold and one kick when warm

My kid got this 09 rmz450 used. it started hard when it was cold I mean like kicking it for 15 to 20 minutes then it starts to pop a few times then it will fire up. then after that one kick every time when its warm. so I put a new piston and rings and did the valves thinking that would cure it. no chance it doses the same thing. is there a sensor that is junk or what should I look for? we know all the tricks of kicking it slow then getting it up on tdc  believe me there is something wrong with this bike just dont know what to look for with out replacing every electronic part on it thanks for the help

makes me wonder if it has ever been remapped... mine started easier after installing the PIM and I suspect it will start even easier after the stock ECU is remapped and the ignition is corrected.

Edit: sorry, meant to ask if the bike has any mods as well. 

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1

I would do a search first. Lot's of good info on here about getting these bikes to start easier. Besides the mechanical/electrical sytems working properly, starting technique is important as well.

Edited by tootrikk

I thought i read on hear that the sensor in the airbox would cause symptoms like this

yeah cool I wonder if there is a ohm reading value and  I could test it out and see if its the same. I don't have a service manual for this bike. thanks

Check the TPS as well!

Thanks I will download a manual and start looking at the sensors and see if I can figure it out

A 4 stroke starting hard cold indicates valves normally. Sure the plug also could play a role and its quite easy to check both.

yeah I did the valves and new plug  when I did the top end that now has 5.3 hrs on it I don't think that is it.  I am thinking its a sensor  thanks