Sign in to follow this  

96 Yz 250 for trail riding

Newbie here just picked up a 96 Yz 250. bored to 263, fmf pipe, g2 throttle 400 cam, etc... simply put Fast!

Now I recently found a off road complex near my area and would like to use this bike to ride the trails but I lack alot of experience with the bigger bikes. Im just looking for mechanical/riding technique tips that i coudl use to tackle this monster on these especially rugged trails (see link to vid: this is not my video but should give an idea of the trails.

Stay WAY forward,, I mean visor on the front fender!

Let the ass end do what it wants.(to a point..)

Elbows out. 

Get the right size (height) handle bars so you can relax and not have to be bent over (much) while standing.I normally set-up bikes while balancing on the pegs I can extend my hands and touch the bars with the tips of my fingers without bending at the hip at all. 

Steer with your feet by pressing down on separate pegs.Or in some cases I steer with my knees by pressing the tank one side or another.  

While sliding corners keep your body vertical,,if the bikes slides out your back and spine won't follow it out. your butt will just move over a bit. (it easier to show someone in person)

Been riding for 40 years,,,just a few basic things that I like to do..but that's just me..

Ok,,that was a funny vid!  As I see it the front end is all or the place,,needs to get out of the back of the seat,get the nads on the tank and steer with the rear. 

Here's my little play vid on my 98YZ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSgEQDDJyG4

Edited by scalejockey
  • Like 2

Scalejockey is correct. I'd like to add that whenever riding in mud, you need good tires with lots of throttle to keep the mud from packing the tires up into a slick. With practice, you'll find that Momentum is your best friend.

Thanks guys this is gonna help alot! I was riding those trails more like a flat track and had my 100 cam in instead of the 400 so yaaaa lots of rough whiskey throttle every time I slid from the center to the rear or got to the sides of the trail. Ill be getting out there hopefully tomorrow weather permitting so ill check in. but keep the advice coming guys thanks

Heres a vid of the bike with some highway and then testing this technique a bit and it works amazing (granted this was not on trails)

http://youtu.be/axFOvFDskjQ

Edited by Mitchell5294