Help on tips/suggestions for new 250 2 stroke rider!

Good advice above. What I haven't seen mentioned is clutch control. It's importand to work the hell out of that thing, it's your power connection. 85s and 125s pretty much demand clutch control but a 250 lets you get away with less skill. Don't let that stop you from learning to use the clutch to feed smooth power out of corners, loft the front wheel as needed for creeks and logs and stay in the powerband on hillclimbs. Whether MX or woods, I'm clutching almost constantly for traction or drive. You don't need the clutch to shift but you do need it for control.

#1 most important as mentioned above though is body position. Without that, you are a passenger, out of control. Study the hell out of the videos on Youtube. Lots of great 'how to ride' tutorials there.

+1. It's all about clutch & throttle control/co-ordination ? .

Forget all the BS about 4T V's 2T. Back in the day we all learnt on 2T's and we survived.

1st off. Set your Bars, levers, gear shifter, rear brake pedal etc up so you're comfortable on the bike.

Got a backyard? Small area you can do some circle work/figure 8 work? Standing on the pegs, 1st/2nd gear, slowest, tightest circles/figure 8's you can do without putting a foot down. 2 fingers on the clutch (for beginners, eventually 1 finger) and 2 fingers on the front brake.

Don't worry, as c-slack has pointed out, if the bike is tuned and setup properly it won't stall, you might stall the bike but the bike won't foul up   :devil: . If you can't "lug" a YZ 250 around you can't ride or set a bike up ? .

"Exuberance is no substitute for experience" :ride: . Take ya time, learning and Improving is 50% of the fun and you won't learn or Improve much whilst layed up in a Hospital bed  ?   .

Riding with the correct techniques will allow you to ride safer and for longer periods. Ie. Standing up saves energy and doesn't let the bike beat you up. It's also safer as you can see further ahead and once you're used to it you'll have more control over the bike.

Try to stay relaxed, Don't hang on too tight, much easier said than done, You need to be conscious of it, but hanging on too tightly will only make your arm pump worse which makes things dangerous.

Learning slowly but surely, the correct techniques will make you a fast (and safe) rider. Rushing it will only get you hurt or worse. If possible, do a rider training day with a reputable Instructor. I never have but I've ridden with beginner riders that have and it shows they've done a riders course in their riding techniques. I can pick up on it from the time we leave the car park. It's very obvious.

There's no advice you'll get here or any vid on you-tube that will go close to helping you as much as doing a riding course will ? .

The bloke I spanner for in MX is an A-grader but is still out at the track all day today and tomorrow doing a riding course with a Pro-Rider. And It's pissing down here ATM?  :devil: .

Edited by AddictedToBling
  • Like 2

go that way...really really fast...if something is in your way, turn! 

sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

learning to ride a 2 stroke is the same as a 4 stroke. good advice about practicing slow speed skills. circles, figure 8's. practice stopping from faster and faster speeds on dirt, until you can modulate using both brakes (front and back) without wiping out or stalling the bike. safe braking/stopping is probably the best skill to be good at.

• Like 1

It is not torque that makes a 4 stroke "easier" to ride, it is the linear powerband and stability of them that does.  I will agree that for learning the basics such as starting, stopping is easier on a 4 stroke.  I will argue however that you will learn far more if on a 2 stroke as you will need to learn proper rear brake control, clutch modulation, momentum preservation and how to find traction.  These are much more advanced yes, but are necessary to learn if your ultimate goal is to race safely.

Then we are in agreement on the big issues; 4 stroke MUCH easier to ride and it is MUCH better to learn how to ride a 2 stroke. Peace in our time!   LOL

Whilst on the subject. The attack riding position would be a standing position ? .

I can't count how many times I have heard "Sitting forward nearly on the tank, chest leaning forward, elbows up and out" refered to as the 'attack position'.

Then we are in agreement on the big issues; 4 stroke MUCH easier to ride and it is MUCH better to learn how to ride a 2 stroke. Peace in our time! LOL

I don't recall saying they weren't easier to ride. I just didn't agree with your advice especially regarding fouling plugs. A 2 stroke is a better bike to learn on as it forces you to work harder at it. It can be frustrating yes, but the long run payoff is worth it.

Edited by c-slak

I can't count how many times I have heard "Sitting forward nearly on the tank, chest leaning forward, elbows up and out" refered to as the 'attack position'.

Bling is correct. Attack position is a standing position, hips back, weight low, head over the handlebars. Sitting with nuts on the tank is typically for turns only.

That would be the attack riding position in corners but for the approach into the corner and on the straights you'd stand with knees bent.

I don't recall saying they weren't easier to ride. I just didn't agree with your advice especially regarding fouling plugs. A 2 stroke is a better bike to learn on as it forces you to work harder at it. It can be frustrating yes, but the long run payoff is worth it.

Well, I'm not gonna argue about the plug issue because I don't know nearly as much as it sounds like you know but, everyone I've ever ridden with advised me to avoid 'lugging' a 2 stroke too much to avoid fouling the plug.

So, if nothing else, we agree better to learn to ride a 2 stroke first.  

• Like 1

Addictedtobling nailed it pretty well. Yes, you can lug a 2 stroke all day long. Only thing I can add that hasn't been mentioned already is, RESPECT a 250. You get cocky or above your head, it will bite you. Being as your uncle is faster than you, ride with him as much as you can. Small drills at home or messing around help a bunch, but nothing like chasing someone faster than you. Use every ride as a chance to work on something, whether it be a blast down the road or a rip with your buddies. Good luck man!

• Like 1