Sign in to follow this  

What is engraved on my cam and head? 05 crf250r

The other day i bot a 05 crf250r off CL when you turn over the kick starter there is a kinda loud knock noise. Bike was $550 so i picked it up, i took the head off and there is some thing engraved on the side of it and on the cam. can any one tell me what it stands for?   

2mxoaqf.jpg

2mqnm21.jpg

2i99oo.jpg

Edited by f.i kawi

Looks like a stock cam that has been modified and the head was probably ported as well 

Crank has no vertical play spins smoothly. head seems good nothing damaged.,, what can be that knock sound?

Edited by f.i kawi

not while the bike is running but when slowly turning it over trying to find TDC there is like a bad loud knock dosnt sound normal at all.

A loud clunk at tdc when turning the engine over slowly is completely normal. It's just the auto-decompression. I have the same bike and I know exactly what you mean, it's nothing to worry about.

Loud knock is definately the decompress. The cam timing might have been altered then welded. I had a cam spin on the shaft and my piston was hitting the valves that little weld would stop that from happening to you.

stock head numbers its on all of them ooks like a stock welded cam may have been moved a few degrees .

stock head numbers its on all of them ooks like a stock welded cam may have been moved a few degrees .

Is that why there is a tack weld on the cam gear? Also, is there any meaning to the engravings on the heads? I've wondered what that meant on mine as well.

I'm not sure what the engravings mean, but I checked my stock '05 and I had the same kind of engravings, so they're probably from the factory. Good luck with your bike man, it's a great motor once you get it tuned right.

Edited by tonyiaco290

A loud clunk at tdc when turning the engine over slowly is completely normal. It's just the auto-decompression. I have the same bike and I know exactly what you mean, it's nothing to worry about.

Wow thanks.. when i went to go look at the bike and heard the noise i thought it needed rebuilding so i told the guy i would only give him $550 and he agreed...

Wow thanks.. when i went to go look at the bike and heard the noise i thought it needed rebuilding so i told the guy i would only give him $550 and he agreed...

It sounds like you got lucky! That's a good price. With the money you saved, you should replace that cam with an unmodified one. By the way if you haven't heard this before; whenever you go to park the bike you should use the kick starter to crank the motor until you hear that clunk. That way you know it's at top dead center and the valves are closed, which prevents pressure on the valve springs and moisture from entering the cylinder. The loud decompressor is very useful for this purpose.