Sign in to follow this  

2005 Kawasaki kx250f Locks Up

I have a 2005 kawasaki kx250f that will lock up after running for a short time.  What is the general thought of what is going on here.  I did a valvue clearance job on it and all looks okay.  I got it started and it smoked big time.  The kids put oil in the cylinder to break it loose after it sitting for a long time in a storage unit.

It wil run for a few seconds and lock up.  After a few minutes it will free up. 

Am I looking at a rebuild for the lower engine?

The bike has a unknown history.  It was bought by my sons high school buddy. 

I was afraid of that.

Should I replace the piston and rings while its open.  It appears to have good compression.

sounds like its seizing up due to over heating.

that could be lack of oil, or lack of coolant. If its lack of oil it might not be worth fixing.

An 05 in running condition isn't worth much to begin with. And they were problematic when running.

If they had to pore oil down the plug hole to free it up, it might have been stuck due to the rings rusting to the cyl wall.

If you get a really good deal on parts and you have a handle on how to fix these, you might be able to repair it for a reasonable cost.

The questions asked here lead me to believe you probably haven't worked on too many of these.

There's lots of knowledge on this forum. Some guys ask questions after they get in a jam.

Asking before is usually less costly :)

I had a similar issue it was the crank bearings when warmed up expanded and locked. Pull the head and see what kind of play is in it also look at the cylinder might need to be replated

If its smoking that leads me to believe it could need piston rings. Pull the cylinder off and check for up and down play on the crank. Side to side is ok just not up and down.