Sign in to follow this  

2002 CR125: How are they?

Hey, here's the deal. I got my friend into dirt biking last year and he got himself a dirt cheap ttr-125 as a play bike (yes he's a grown man hehe).

Now the bike is horribly undersized, underpowered and prettu much under everything for him so we are looking to upgrade. He would like something light, easy to start, low seat height (at least lower then my 250f) and cheap so I though a 125 could be great for him. Now I found this 2002 CR125 for dirt cheap but it needs some love. It requires at least a top end, sprockets and chain.

The only think I'm wondering is what are the engine's characteristics? Don't get me wrong, he is still a beginner and is not very heavy. The bike will also never be raced so raw power is not a factor. But I would  like to know how the delivery is. Is it pretty smooth as far as 125s go? I know the lat model CRs were a bit low on power, which could be a blessing here. But is it a pretty linear delivery?

Thanks for your input.

Got a PC header and factory sound silencer and v-force reeds on mine and standard bore, zips around freakin quick! Best bike I ever had! I have it set up so it hits on the bottom end pretty good (v force reeds and silencer) but it holds up awesome and runs great, never ditching this bike!

Hey, here's the deal. I got my friend into dirt biking last year and he got himself a dirt cheap ttr-125 as a play bike (yes he's a grown man hehe).

Now the bike is horribly undersized, underpowered and prettu much under everything for him so we are looking to upgrade. He would like something light, easy to start, low seat height (at least lower then my 250f) and cheap so I though a 125 could be great for him. Now I found this 2002 CR125 for dirt cheap but it needs some love. It requires at least a top end, sprockets and chain.

The only think I'm wondering is what are the engine's characteristics? Don't get me wrong, he is still a beginner and is not very heavy. The bike will also never be raced so raw power is not a factor. But I would  like to know how the delivery is. Is it pretty smooth as far as 125s go? I know the lat model CRs were a bit low on power, which could be a blessing here. But is it a pretty linear delivery?

Thanks for your input.

Hey. We have two of these bikes and I gotta say that the reliability with these bikes is great. It's not so much down on power but it's all on top of the rev range. We got a lot better mid range power by using a Phat Head with H13 insert. My sons are racing these things with 13 - 53 gearing which helped a lot. Stock gearing was way too long. Especially the gap between 2nd and 3rd was too big. They say V-Force 3 reeds will help on the low - mid power. We have them but honestly I don't know if they helped at all. Just make sure you have good reeds in. You can change the power characteristics quite a lot with different exhaust systems. We're running with HGS and they seem to be high rewing pipes and not so good on the lower end. But like said, in my mind it's a good bike for somebody who's not racing in AMA supercross series :).

I have an 03 CR125 which is essentially the same as the 02, and I can say that it rips pretty good. I got V-Force Reeds, stock header and turbine core 2, a 7 oz flywheel weight, and I just put a fresh top end in it. As long as you keep the top end fresh and change the oil regularly, then it is a fast reliable bike.

Thanks guys. Apparently the 03-04 kx125 stock pipe does wonders for the low/mid on these bikes.

Is this true?  Where did you get this info?

From Steve (moto814). He knows his stuff.

I read here too... ;)

Modifying the stopper pin like that will just keep the powervalve flapper from closing all the way. It would have little effect other than maybe losing a bit of low-end. I've never used that mod, but that doesn't mean that it's not something you should try.

Personally, on the late-model CR125's this is what I do:

Bore the cylinder to 56mm.

Port the cylinder for whatever power I'm trying to get.

Modify the head for a 56mm bore, keeping the stock compression ratio, and a 50% squishband @ 1.0mm squish clearance.

Match the cases to the cylinder base.

Match the exhaust flange to the cylinder.

For the 2002, 2003, and 2004 models, a stock 2003 KX125 pipe is amazing.

Boyesen Rad Valve.

-Steve

Edited by Crazyced
  • Like 1

That's only true if you install the green powerband at the same time!

• Like 1

Steve, we actually modified the power valve stopper. We went from stock 4mm to 7 mm. It really helped the engine on low - mid rpm's. The bikes became lot more "rideable", power comes earlier.

I've owned both and if you can find a YZ125 for same price it's a much smoother, more usable power than the CR125 unfortunately...