Sign in to follow this  

01 KTM 200 what is this hole for?

I have a 2001 KTM 200 MXC and there is a hole at the front of the engine around the area where the power valve adjustment is. It smokes a lot out of the hole, so is that normal or should there be something blocking off the hole? I circled it in the picture.

Thanks,

Mike

securedownload2.jpg

Edited by KtmSmokey

I have a 2001 KTM 200 MXC and there is a hole at the front of the engine around the area where the power valve adjustment is. It smokes a lot out of the hole, so is that normal or should there be something blocking off the hole? I circled it in the picture.

Thanks,

Mike

definately need something.. The only place your bike should be smoking is the exhaust. Nowhere else

definately need something.. The only place your bike should be smoking is the exhaust. Nowhere else

Alright thanks. Now I need to figure out if just blocking the hole off would be fine or if there is a leak somewhere causing it to smoke from that spot. Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

I just replaced that inner clutch cover on my 200 last month... but I cannot recall exactly what that hole is for.  I will take a look when I get home today though (if no one else pipes up) and take a pic or two for you.  As others have said it should not be smoking from there (only from the exhaust).  There may be a breather tube/hose or something hooked into there... but I can't remember... I have a terrible memory.  Take a look at the last set of pics in this link to get you started:

http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/two-strokes/3386-ktm-exc-200-2002-milky-gearbox-oil-what-do-i-do-how-can-i-fix-thanks.html

Sweet! Now I'm getting somewhere. In those pics it looks like a hose fitting is suppose to go there? If that is the case then I'm going to have to pull it apart again and see why it's leaking exhaust from there.

I checked both my old and new inner clutch covers and there is NO hole in either   :facepalm:

I have an 03 200 MXC... so they must have changed that part somewhere between 01-03.  That area (on mine) houses the PV rocker arm with the ball on the end that fits up into the cylinder to actuate the PV.  My guess is that a little smoke coming from there would be no big deal... but that's just a guess.  Having a hole there is a whole different issue though   :D 

Good luck on finding more info... maybe someone else here knows about that year model. 

Ill assume its the tranny vent, they moved it up to the little PV inspection plate later. If so it will poof a little smoke.

Well the thing is it's more than a little stream of smoke coming out of the hole. It's actually quite a lot of smoke. I may just block the hole off and see if the bike runs better.

It is the pv vent for the older 200's. Should have a vent hose. Do not plug.

It is the pv vent for the older 200's. Should have a vent hose. Do not plug.

Okay. So it's suppose to smoke from there after all? Edited by KtmSmokey

Okay. So it's suppose to smoke from there after all?

Yes it can. All open area for the control arm to exhaust valve control. The newer models are closed off and vent from the left inspection plate.

Yes it can. All open area for the control arm to exhaust valve control. The newer models are closed off and vent from the left inspection plate.

Alright cool that makes sense now. Thank you very much.

I looked at my 2000 200EXC and there is indeed a vent hose coming off that hole. It's about 12" long and dumps where the other vent hoses do.

I've never noticed smoke coming out of it, but I never really paid attention either..

Good luck!