Sign in to follow this  

shifter keeps coming loose?

Got a new Hammerhead shifter and it keeps coming loose. The bolt never seems to loosen off just the shifter is always loose after I race. And tips? It's brand new and doesn't look worn out yet.

mine does this too haven't found a solution yet, annoys the hell outta me!

May need to widen the gap so it gets more clamping force when tightening the bolt. A hacksaw blade might do the trick. However, if the splines on the shift shaft are buggered up, save yourself the frustration and just replace it.

Widen the gap. Longer bolt with nut on the end. Proper high tensile bolt. Torque nut last. Loctite on the nut.

Edit:  Even if the splines are bad on the shaft, in 90% of cases, the above works.

Edited by numroe
  • Like 2

I have this happen every time I put a new shift lever on. Takes about 4 rides/retightens before it miraculously seats.

Always had problems on my yz125 with the shift shift wearing out. Just get a new one. They aren't that expensive.

May need to widen the gap so it gets more clamping force when tightening the bolt. A hacksaw blade might do the trick. However, if the splines on the shift shaft are buggered up, save yourself the frustration and just replace it.

I would call the vendor before mutilating it...

The after market aluminum ones seem to be softer than the 60.00$ oem one.(have two very worn yet NEW spare ones on the shelf) Iv'e found the super cheap steel ones never loosen.

I would call the vendor before mutilating it...

It's a $20 part.  Some might say why fix or mod a new item. I like to look for the easiest solution.  Often with things like this it is not worth the time of a phone call.  I'd fix it.   Buy a new one and it'll probably do the same thing. I suspect his shaft spline is worn and the vendor would rightly say that.  Way easier to mod the part to secure perfectly, than to split the cases and replace the shaft.

It's a $20 part. Some might say why fix or mod a new item. I like to look for the easiest solution. Often with things like this it is not worth the time of a phone call. I'd fix it. Buy a new one and it'll probably do the same thing. I suspect his shaft spline is worn and the vendor would rightly say that. Way easier to mod the part to secure perfectly, than to split the cases and replace the shaft.

Just an FYI. You don't need to split the cases to replace the shift shaft. Remove the clutch side cover and it drops in. $5 for a gasket and $20 for a shift shaft on eBay. Cheaper than the lever itself.
  • Like 1

All of the aftermarket ones I used came loose, the only one I will waste my money on now is the OEM

• Like 2

It's a $20 part.  Some might say why fix or mod a new item. I like to look for the easiest solution.  Often with things like this it is not worth the time of a phone call.  I'd fix it.   Buy a new one and it'll probably do the same thing. I suspect his shaft spline is worn and the vendor would rightly say that.  Way easier to mod the part to secure perfectly, than to split the cases and replace the shaft.

I'll take a Hammerhead shifter for $20!

• Like 1