Sign in to follow this  

Yz125 Reed Spacer?

So im currently riding an 03 yz125. Basically all stock with the exception of a fmf shorty silencer and boyesen reed petals on the stock cage.

I have a friend with a pre 02 model and he runs a reed spacer and says it help with bottom to mid. Has anyone ever tried out a reed spacer

on a 125? They're only like 30$ and im looking for just a little more kick off the bottom and the mid would be nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-YZ-125-YZ125-1994-2002-2003-2004-CARBURETOR-CARB-REED-TORQUE-SPACER-KIT-/321064053294?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AYZ125&hash=item4ac0e8aa2e&vxp=mtr

Yup, that is how they work, moves the torque curve up or down.  Short for top end, thick for bottom end.

Just remember that if you gain bottom you are going to lose top

Yea i know. Thats why im a little torn to buy one. What do you think would really help the midrange? I have a good sprocket setup right now (13-50) so thats good. Are aftermarket reeds such as Boyesen or Vforce really a good buy like everyone says they are?

You have the hot set up IMO. Stock cage, boyesen petals... the cages won't make much difference, nothing that is noticeable anyways.

If I were you, I would start looking into porting. If you have never had your head worked look into getting your squish band corrected as well to squeeze just a little more out of your motor. That way you can get a smidge more out of your motor without sacrificing too much anywhere. 

Another option would be to go with a BB kit. Keep the stock power curve with a little more power everywhere.

Edited by BDubb106

You have the hot set up IMO. Stock cage, boyesen petals... the cages won't make much difference, nothing that is noticeable anyways.

If I were you, I would start looking into porting. If you have never had your head worked look into getting your squish band corrected as well to squeeze just a little more out of your motor. That way you can get a smidge more out of your motor without sacrificing too much anywhere.

Another option would be to go with a BB kit. Keep the stock power curve with a little more power everywhere.

The 144 big bore does sound nice. I would love to get one but I don't think it's worth it as of right now. The bike is mint and I'm shortly going to need the money for tires and wear items. Will keep the bbk in mind though.

my son had this spacer in his 07 yz125.  He said it broadened the power a little and he liked it.  Started pulling earlier and pulled a little longer.  He put this on after he took off the vforce reeds.  He hated the Vforce reeds, the had good throttle response, but shortened up the power distribution.