Sign in to follow this  

Stator/Lighting

I have a 1986 XR600R that I just had the engine rebuilt and it runs great. I installed a Baja Designs lighting kit to replace the Mickey Mouse lighting that was previously installed. My question is how do I get it to keep the 12 volt battery charge so I could ride the bike at night? I know the stock stator doesn't really put out enough voltage for a street lighting kit but I do have a stator from an XL 600 model.

Any suggestions?

all you need is a baja designs regulator/retifier and Their 12v battery.  the reg/rec converts the ac out of the stator to 12v dc... run the dc to the battery and then to an switch, I run a toggle up at the bar. I dont know how this will handle a full light kit but I run a 35 watt H4 bulb and tail light all the time and it works very well at night.

A normal XR600 should have enough power to run a headlight and tailight right off the bat.,that's the way they come from the factory.

They should also be able to run the indis and horn from the stock puny stator lighting side..engine needs to be running obviously.

Noahs reg/rec thing sounds like the answer..

What does the Baja kit consist of??

How many wires coming off that XL Stator and what colours are they..??

Probably just as easy to use it and a normal XL reg/rec if you want a bit more power..Depends on how easy the

wiring is and how good one is at figuring it out..I'm not much good but I have a lot of various XR/XL wiring diagrams

for different setups with or without indis and with or without a capacitor/battery. If you have the Baja kit joining stuff

up to it may be a bit complicated.,that's the elephant in the room..

Edited by Horri

A stock '86 XR600 come with a 165 watt stator... Should be plenty for almost any dual sport use. I've heard the later models have much smaller stators though.

A normal XR600 should have enough power to run a headlight and tailight right off the bat.,that's the way they come from the factory.

They should also be able to run the indis and horn from the stock puny stator lighting side..engine needs to be running obviously.

Noahs reg/rec thing sounds like the answer..

What does the Baja kit consist of??

How many wires coming off that XL Stator and what colours are they..??

Probably just as easy to use it and a normal XL reg/rec if you want a bit more power..Depends on how easy the

wiring is and how good one is at figuring it out..I'm not much good but I have a lot of various XR/XL wiring diagrams

for different setups with or without indis and with or without a capacitor/battery. If you have the Baja kit joining stuff

up to it may be a bit complicated.,that's the elephant in the room..

There are 4 wires that come from the XL stator. The Baja kit didn't come with a rectifier/regulator. Stock reg/rec are easy to acquire, I thought the stock reg/rec would do the job. I thought about buying a Ricky's stator but I want to explore the stock stator before I spend the money on an after market.