84' XR350 Pulse Generator Help

Got a 84' Honda XR350R that I am trying to get run for my friend.

Cleaned and jetted carbs.

Adjust valve lash.

New spark plug.

Have a poor very intermittent spark. Diagnosed ignition system to a weak pulse generator. Ohms at 66K. Way above spec.

I am having trouble finding a replacement as it seems that this particular pulse generator was only used for two years on only two models 84-85 XR350,XL350.

Wondering what possible othe replacement pulse generators would be acceptable to use with this ignition system. Possibly from other XR models that would require little or no modification to pulse generator.

I am very good with wiring, and have no problem modifing new pulse genarator mount if needed, also aware of that might need to make it adjustable to correct any timing differences due to differences of generator. Just need to know what possible replacement options I have.

Any sugestions or help is apppreciated.

Thank You,

Edited by YZBul

looks like you have the same problem as mine.... except the wiring has deteriorated.

Did you find a replacement?

I have looked and cannot fine one.

Looked at an 96 XR 600 one and it looks very very similar.

Update I managed to buy one brand new .....

XR 350 Pulse Generator

Pulse Gen Part Number for 83 - 84

Superceded to:

30300KF0154

Got one out of Germany!

http://www.biketeile24.de

https://www.biketeile24.ch/advanced_search_result.php?n=1&keywords=30300KF0154

did you notice if they had one for an 85 xr350? I'd hate to need a part I couldn't find. I'll make a note of that German seller. Thanks

well ... they just cancelled my order .... back to the drawing boards

Emailed Ricky Stator.

Has anyone here ever tried to change it to another type? like modify one of an XR 600 or something?

I know the XR 350 83-84 Pick up coil is 470 - 590 ohms 

The XR 600 Pick up coil (Pulse Generator) is 

340 - 440 Ohms

Would this work do you think?

Don't use the one off the 600 I already been down that road, didn't work on my '85 XR350R so I got one off ebay which you have to spend some time but their on ebay.

Thanks Mate.... I have placed another order with another company (Will see how they go)  from Russia. for a 1985 one.

Will not put the site in here until I can had a successful transaction. But I scoured the net for days finding them. About 20 pages deep into Google and stumbled across them.

=============

just cut off wires closer to my PG and tested my old Pulse Generator (Pickup coil) gone from 490 mega ohm to 380 K Ohm..... so lots better .. .but not quite the 440 - 590 Ohms the spec says.... anyone got a running Xr 350 that can test thier pick up coil to get a reading on thier multi meter....?? If so .. can you post it here for us?

My mate has one, will see if I can get the spec off his

WEll PLan B Did not work.... MEGA BITS ... what a flunk! no parts ... thier site says they had em all!!! useless!

Trying USA ebay selller now ... each one that has parts for XR's see if that will work

had to go to Plan C - Got in touch with a bunch of EBAy sellers that had looms for sale and managed to grab one of an Aussie Guy.... he has posted it and we will see if it turns up.

$75NZD ($43USD) Delivered to my door..... 

Now just waiting for my Chinese Version of the Honda 85 CDI and GY6 Loom plug I managed to fluke apon finding .... all new for only $36USD all up delivered ...

Then I will change over the plugs and put the new gear in and all things being equal I will then have spark.

Update.

Got the Pulse Gen off a 85 and it was different in the bracket. So I managed to Carefully cut the old damaged Pulse Generator plastic away ... and low and behold the are 2 screws holding the bracket on. removed screws, did  the same on the good new one and changed the brackets over.... all testing out fine.

Just have to now complete my wiring conversion and CDI conversion to the new 87 to 96 version i got out of Hong Kong.

Bit of mucking about, but easy to get a new one if ever needed (although should last another 25 years.

It can be done though.... i am posting a you tube video one of these days to show people how to do this modification.

Update.

Got the Pulse Gen off a 85 and it was different in the bracket. So I managed to Carefully cut the old damaged Pulse Generator plastic away ... and low and behold the are 2 screws holding the bracket on. removed screws, did the same on the good new one and changed the brackets over.... all testing out fine.

Just have to now complete my wiring conversion and CDI conversion to the new 87 to 96 version i got out of Hong Kong.

Bit of mucking about, but easy to get a new one if ever needed (although should last another 25 years.

It can be done though.... i am posting a you tube video one of these days to show people how to do this modification.

I was just going to ask you to post up some pics. I really don't understand pulse generator. I have ct90's with points so I assume it's something to help generate the spark. The you tube vid will even be better. I am lucky enough I have an 85 xr350 that fires right up

But these things will be good know incase it doesn't. Sounds like it might make Sense to pick up a spare pulse gen if you can find one

yep the pulse Gen has a wire wound iron bar and there is a lobe that passes past it at tdc every stroke. as it passes the pickup it induces an electrical charge into the wire wound core and sends that signal to the CDI. The CDI calculates the RPM and builds voltage and stores it in the internal capacitors. Then discharges this low voltage pulse to the coil and this builds the primary charge and induces voltage into the secondary. as soon as the primary loses voltage, the engine fires.

CDI controls spark advance by knowing that as soon as it gets the induced pulse from the timing lobe on the pulse generator.... it gets to work... as soon s it builds to a pre mapped pulse per second, it advances and continues to advance the spark until max RPM is reached.