Sign in to follow this  

making the bike easier to ride for a tall rider

Hey guys,

Maybe I shouldnt have posted in a bike specific forum, but then again that's what I ride :)

Anyways, I'm 6'2" or so, and riding a 2013 450R.  When I stand, I definitely feel out of place...more so than I do on my other bike (2005 CRF450X). 

I feel like I'm so hunched over to hold onto the handlebars, and in any jump situations on the track this forces me farther back on the bike then I'd like to be. Even my pictures look funny! HA!

So I'm by no means a pro or anything, in fact only started racing last year. I'm sure my form is far from perfect, but wheres the first place I should look?

Bar risers? Is that a viable option? Or new handlebars? Combination of both?

I'm willing to do what it takes to be more comfortable on the bike, but I don't know if going through different combinations of risers and handlebars are cost efficient. 

Is there such thing as adjustable risers?

I read around here some guys have fitted lower pegs, but our tracks get pretty rutted up in the corners and I'd really hate to have a peg drop in there.

Opinions? If there are any experienced riders out there that can point me in the proper direction that would be great!

I'm 6'4" 

This is what I do to all my bikes:

CR or KX high bars on a BRP submount riser (plus a damper)

Bars set at +.5 position or less

Tall seat (sometimes even getting a custom seat made for even more height, like on my R I went 2" taller than stock)

Fastway pegs in the low boy position

Suspension as well tuned as you can get it. so when you stand up you are not doing any radical weight shifts forward that might cause the front to drop

I just put the brp's handle bar mount for the scotts dampener on my bike with the cr mids. The mount and bars brought it up about a inch maybe more, feels better. Cr highs would probably feel even better. I'm 6'1 and like my bars forward. About 1.5.

I'm 6'1" here is the setup I have on my bikes:

For my 09 crf450 I have Renthal bars with the CR high bend (the most comfortable bend I've ever used personally) rolled forward a few degrees from center as well as low fastway pegs.

For my yz250 I have a set of bar risers from Tusk racing with Renthal fat bars (not sure of the bend to be honest, not a tall bend) also rolled forward a few degrees.

They both feel about the same, the yz has a taller bar setup than the crf with the high bend, which I like. On top of that the bar risers were dirt cheap, I think they were only $15.

The fastway's are 1/2 inch lower and 1/2 inch further back.  Doesn't sound like much, but it really makes a big difference IMHO.

I'm 6'1" (socks) and I went with a scotts submount (damper), rises and the fastway pegs . Not a honda, but my KTM 300 fits so much better now.  Easier to loft the front wheel too.

I'm 6'4 and spent some time on the 13' CRF before chosing the RMZ. 

Anyways. The CRF cockpit seemed slightly cramped to me. It needs to be opened up. Tall bars will help but it felt really narrow to me as well!

lower pegs, like fastways, or if you have a hacksaw and your handy you can cut the barrels off the bottom of your stock pegs place them on the top and swap retrun springs form left to right and right to left.

taller seat.  Guts makes the foam, and CEET makes the best seat covers, youll have to call they will make you a tall seat cover they don't stock them.

DO NOT USE BAR RISERS THEY BRING THE BARS BACK AT THE SAME ANGLE AS THE FORKS REDUCING THE DISTANCE FROM THE BARS TO THE FOOTPEGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I tried it it was horrible.

tall bars are better than risers since they don't have to be tipped back at fork angle but there really needed only if your arms are too short compared to your legs  imo they can scrunch tall guys up.

you need to go forwards.  and then you can go up if you needed

these are your options

enduro engineering risers.

ee-bar-risers-jap.jpg

dont think they make these any more they were branded as fly and pro taper.

if you could find one for any year crf in 20mm offset, you could have a good machine shop bore them to fit your forks its like a 0.025" difference thats what i did on my 09.

ans_pro_taper_triclamp.jpg

302-1364.jpg

these are pro tapers 2 position

PROTAPER43.jpg

these rg3 can have different bar mounts anywhere between the 2 holes.

I think its actually a really trick system for a rubber mount.

RG3UpTrClamp.jpg

xtrig nice stuff but $$$$$$$$$$$$

catImg_20130703110131.png

Edited by englertracing
  • Like 3

Look at outlawracingproducts.com          They have 50mm bar risers with a 5mm offset.  Look under "controls",     I am 6'2" and they really helped for my 08.  I also got a different bar, higher.    They make for both 7/8 and 1 1/8 bars. The quality here is much better than I thought it would be for the price. 

I lowered my forks about a quarter inch in the front for better cornering and it lowering the front just that little bit made me feel Cramped again so I ordered the fastway pegs and came in today. Thought this might help your post. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398284923.443007.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398284938.025859.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398284952.355150.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398284973.642280.jpg so far so good. And yes that little bit makes a big difference! But then again every little bit helps! When I stand feel relaxed and not hunched over

Edited by Diggla117
  • Like 2

if you look at these you can zoom in and see the fastway peg on the left has the barrel on top and a "righ side" spring

you can move your stock pegs this way too just gotta cut that barrel off flush and put it up top.

I just got my guts tall seat foam yesterday for my 09 crf450

and im covering it with a custom ordered CEET cover.

got half way done but had to leave for work.

As all said before, fastway pegs are amazing.. that did the most for me. I'm 6'2" btw.

Combine that with a tall seat and an adjustable top clamp and you are good to go. Moving the bars forward is really the key. Zeta makes cheap adjustable top clamps that hold up really good.

pv006.jpg

DAMN  i didnt even know about this one, but this clamp looks great! better than the fly/pro taper setup!!

i wish oem was like this. they should be.

• Like 2

the tall seat is tits.

for the mx track.

there was like 2 laps of "this is weird, this is weird, this is weird" followed by a lap of "eh this is okay i guess" and the next lap was "actually this is better" and the next lap "yeah i'm keeping this"

it does feel real tall when your sitting stationary with your feet down and you gotta throw your leg higher to get on.

I still have to test it in the desert and woods.

Id recommend it for anyone long legged and 6ft and over.

great info guys thanks for all your help! I'm just getting around to figuring out what I should do and you gave me so many detailed options. Thanks again!

• Like 1

I thought about getting the lower pegs, but when I go through trenches, I like having them higher. I guess its a trade off of how often I go through trenches (once a year). I would just hate to bottom out and smack my foot on the ground or an object (rock, etc.). Anyone doing desert racing have issues lowering their pegs?