Sign in to follow this  

SOLD!

Well guys I sold the husky cr125 a couple weeks ago I just never had the time to write up a little thread to inform you, I'm 16 and I decided I should stop riding dirtbikes for a little and get some more practical, soooo I brought a sports bike instead, it's not a super sport nothing crazy fast but fast enough for me and since it's my first "real" motorcycle I didn't want to get something too powerful, I thought about a dual sport but I decided against it, I brought a Yamaha seca 2 600cc inline 4 older tech, but a huge step from a 125 smoker, just thought I should let you guys know what happened and I'll get some pics of the bike tomorrow, have a good one.

• Like 2

Congrats.  You'll enjoy that bike, but keep your eye on the oil, since it's an older model.  Watch for leaks on the floor as well.  Ride it for a bit, it's a great bike for learning how to ride on the road.  Good choice. 

Congrats. You'll enjoy that bike, but keep your eye on the oil, since it's an older model. Watch for leaks on the floor as well. Ride it for a bit, it's a great bike for learning how to ride on the road. Good choice.

thanks,so far I can't see any problems with the bike I really enjoy it and I'm having an absolute blast

I don't think they are any more "real" than dirt bikes, they've just got a plate, in fact I think dual-sports are more real motorcycles, even if it's a 93' XR650L or many other it can still be as reliable, so good luck synchronizing those carbs and overcomming all those speed bumps  :)

Have patience and think ahead, the can-drivers often don't see you comming

I don't think they are any more "real" than dirt bikes, they've just got a plate, in fact I think dual-sports are more real motorcycles, even if it's a 93' XR650L or many other it can still be as reliable, so good luck synchronizing those carbs and overcomming all those speed bumps :)

Have patience and think ahead, the can-drivers often don't see you comming

thats exactly what my mom said, I almost didn't get a motorcycle because of her and her fear of me getting killed in a accident, now she's not worried about my driving and skill on a bike, she's worried about other drivers not being able to see me.

Yep watch the cars sometimes I wonder with some of the drivers out there. Had a few close calls, just need to keep your eye out for stupidity. Also try and distance yourself a good bit from them.

Well, I've been hit by a car 4 times only in the past 4 years, the bike had a few scratches and bent bars but was good to go as soon as picked up from the ground, becouse it's a dual-sport  :D

So just don't get cocky and good luck on the road

Edited by MCVL

Well guys I sold the husky cr125 a couple weeks ago I just never had the time to write up a little thread to inform you, I'm 16 and I decided I should stop riding dirtbikes for a little and get some more practical, soooo I brought a sports bike instead, it's not a super sport nothing crazy fast but fast enough for me and since it's my first "real" motorcycle I didn't want to get something too powerful, I thought about a dual sport but I decided against it, I brought a Yamaha seca 2 600cc inline 4 older tech, but a huge step from a 125 smoker, just thought I should let you guys know what happened and I'll get some pics of the bike tomorrow, have a good one.

where is that vid of you killing it on the 125 after all that smack you were talking... do you even ride bro ?

where is that vid of you killing it on the 125 after all that smack you were talking... do you even ride bro ?

lol I thought you got the hint, I was joking I'm not a "pro" rider, I sold the bike anyways I'm all street for now, in a couple years when I buy another bike I'll make a vid for you

Well, I've been hit by a car 4 times only in the past 4 years, the bike had a few scratches and bent bars but was good to go as soon as picked up from the ground, becouse it's a dual-sport :D

So just don't get cocky and good luck on the road

what dual sport do you have?

And guys I'll get some

Pics today as soon as I get home thanks for the comments

The street can be tricky.  I felt like I developed almost a warrior mentality after riding street for a while.  Ill have to explain because that can be taken the wrong way.  It was like I developed extra senses.  There are so many people in vehicles not paying attention you have to be aware of everything going on around you.  If you see a car ahead of you and there is even a remote chance he can pull out you have to be aware of that.  Just my .02 on street riding.  If you ride around casually, day dreaming, then that's when you start getting too relaxed and may not be prepared for the car that pulls out, or the dog that runs across the road, or the trash that feel out the back of someone's truck. 

Take it easy on the street.  Especially at first.  You may want to practice emergency breaking in a parking lot or some deserted road.  Its a good skill to have and takes some practice to get used to how much brake you can apply.  I've noticed a lot of new street riders will slam on the rear brake and just skid without using any front brake.  I'm sure you know the basics but it would help practicing how much front brake you can use.  Getting used to when to apply front brake.  How much pressure to use.  Very important.  Better to practice on your time then trying to do an emergency brake for the first time in a real life situation.

• Like 1

Good advice above. After becoming a temporary quadrapalegic about 15 years ago I got even more focused on car drivers. Now I usually have my eye on every one that can hang me up: front, back, oncoming and both sides. About two or three times a year one of them actually does try to kill me. The last one lost his side mirror to my foot.

I ride aggressively in order to not be boxed in by cars and I insist on lots of space around me to the point where I'll speed excessively to get out of bunched traffic.

The general rule is that if you can survive two years on the road you'll be all right. By really, REALLY watching out for the car drivers you'll make it.

• Like 2

what dual sport do you have?

I had all street legal kdx125 (1 time from the side while the car was turning)  -> ttr250 (2 times: from the back and another one from the side while the car was turning) -> drz400s (a guy dicided to take the traffic lane I was on, but were too busy talking on the phone to look if it's clear and 2 times at the traffic jam on slow speeds, but I didn't even fall, so it doesn't count), now I have XR650R, it's a little heavier and I feel a bit more clumsy in tight traffic, but it can do it and it seams the drivers pay more attention to it, maybe it's partially becouse of a little louder exhaust or because I ride a little more aggressively now, had a vid somewhere, but I'm ashamed to post it

So beside the advices above you should also try to avoid being always at the middle of your traffic lane, better be at one side or another, following the car tracks, this way they see you better and you have more room for evasive maneuver

Edited by MCVL