?s about loudmouth air intakes

I want to copy the loudmouth intake system for my 03 CRF450 because i don't want to spend $170 on one. Had one on my previous bike and I'm sure i could duplicate the aluminum piece. I plan on ordering the filter replacements but wanted to know beforehand if anyone that has a loudmouth intake could tell me the outer diameter of the intake lip where the filter attaches to. Thanks

Im doing this with simple tools at home, jig saw to cut out the metal, hand files and stones on a drill to clean it up. I can see if the loudmouths were hand made, costing up to $170 (maybe) but for something thats cnc machined? Not knocking the product at all (it works like it says it does, great product) I'm just trying to save a little $. If this doesn't work i will just have to buy one:)

• Like 1

The loudmouth does a great job of keeping dirt and sand out of your motor by sealing it 100% compared to the filters I've had in the past. I was running a Uni filter with the aluminum cage and still every time i went to clean my filter i found a good amount of sand or dirt (depending on what i rode) in my air intake past the filter. I know this is a pretty common problem with the honda air box. As for performance, i had the loudmouth in the past and didn't really notice a performance increase, but it made filter changes easy and kept the intake sealed.

• Like 1

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398381168.168631.jpg

I went and found that a 4.5" piece of PVC fit perfectly with the filter i ordered. I used ultra black permatex to seal the pvc to the aluminum piece i cut out. Its very strong, im not at all worried about this coming apart.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398381367.426827.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398381380.666014.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398381396.301401.jpg

Fits nice. I plan on putting some permatex on my intake when i place it into my air box. That should seal the deal:) i will let y'all know how it performs.

• Like 1

Went riding today and noticed right away that the bike was more responsive especially in the bottom end and it idled better. Bike felt smooth and just easier to ride, power band was spot on. Im happy i did this mod.