Sign in to follow this  

Options for EXC diet

I just posted this in a different thread:

I just took a minute to weigh my 350 EXC-F 2014 with all the fluids and a 3/4 full tank. I'm happy with the result.

258lbs - 126 Front / 132 Back, KTM say it weighs 241.4lbs dry, so it makes sense.

Here are the mods that may change the weight:

The last 2 bikes I had were 250 4t, but felt a bit short on power.  The few times I tried my friend's 450's, I always thought the power was great but it was too much of a handful for me. The 350 sits perfectly in between as far as power.  It weighs the same as a 450 MX, but it's a good compromise to get a street legal killer machine!

I was wondering what are the options to trim a bit of weight from the bike. I'm thinking of a 19" rear tire/wheel, which is supposed to trim 5lbs.  Other ideas without compromising reliability and staying trail worthy?

Rear wheel/tire -5lbs

Change battery -???lbs

Exhaust -???lbs

Edited by ti-ben

A lithium battery saved me about 3.3lb's. I have read somewhere also that there is a set foam and base that saves weight also.

Titanium bolts and axles.

Carbon fibre bash plate.

Carbon fibre handlebars.

Motion pro light rim locks.

Titanium foot pegs.

Titanium springs.

Talon carbon hubs.

How big is your wallet? That will be the determining factor in how light you can make your bike.

Tubeliss?

Honestly you're probably better off saving your money and just taking a good shit before you ride.

• Like 4

Figure that, on your take-off speed, it takes 9 Lbs. of weight loss (you and/or your bike) to equal ONE horsepower. Weight isn't as important to top speed. If you and/or your bike lost 27 Lbs, you would ONLY gain (3) horsepower on your low end acceleration. Probably the best thing that you could do with your money, is to go take some sort of professional dirt bike classes to get the power that you already have, to the ground for maximum acceleration out of corners (which is what I need). Unless you are a Pro rider. Then buy all of that fancy stuff. Good luck to you!

Totally agree on the dirt bike classes. I was looking at shaving weight for added control, not speed, it is plenty enough for me just how it is.

Honestly you're probably better off saving your money and just taking a good shit before you ride.

Too funny!

Its true though - your weight will vary a couple of pounds throughout the day . . .

Rider skill and being in good physical shape would be a better investment.

I am in shape - PEAR shape!

Edited by jrabenius

I'll have to wait a bit to add more stuff on the bike, the wife keeps repeating : you didn't mind buying a brand new bike with a ton of accessories but you don't want to buy an inground pool and bla bla bla bla....I'm starting to think there's a motion sensor built into her that starts the same old song everytime I walk in front of her. I'll have to get back on the bike to stop thinking about her complaining

Edited by ti-ben

The only value of shaving weight off the bike verses cost is if you fall down a lot causing you to pick the damm thing up. :doh: Loosing five pounds is cheaper and better for your health and stop falling......