USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

How many of you went from late model Jap 250's to 250SX's?

Who has done the switch from a late model Japanese 250 two stroke (2005+) to a Late model 250SX (2012+)?

Right now I have a 2005 CR250R. Built literally from the ground up the past year and a half. Complete overhaul on the engine with a 265 kit ported installed, FC Suspension, exhaust, reeds, bearings...  

I've only put a little over 26 hours on it. Though it does the job wonderful for what I ask it to do, the new KTM's are just hard to not wonder, " what if?". Would it compare to my CR or just blow it out of the water, even stock? 

Just some opinions on the topic would be great. A new bike (most likely a 450SXF) is in my future, but dang Ive had some fun on my 250. Having a new modern one would be even nicer. But would it even be THAT much of a difference? Ive had some people ride my bike saying its one of, if not, the best handling bikes they've ever rode.

Heres some pics of what Ive got:

20140405_125330_zps22d855ee.jpg

20140405_125035_zps01c6606b.jpg

I made the switch from a 2007 Kawasaki KX250 to a 2010 250SX and in my opinion the  250SX is far superior in almost every respect .

In completely stock form , the KTM has much better power , brakes and overall handling . Where the KTM really shines however is when you start tuning . The adjustable power valve is worth the price of admission in and of itself . With 10 minutes worth of effort , it is possible to seriously alter the engine's character . This can be a tremendous aid when adapting to different tracks or trail conditions . Also , the availability of needles and the expertise of people on forums such as this allow you to fine tune to a degree perhaps not possible with other brands . I've just changed to the 300SX top end with a PC Plat 2 exhaust and it is now a very different animal again . For the better . I liked my KX250 but I love the 250SX .

I made the switch from a 2007 Kawasaki KX250 to a 2010 250SX and in my opinion the  250SX is far superior in almost every respect .

In completely stock form , the KTM has much better power , brakes and overall handling . Where the KTM really shines however is when you start tuning . The adjustable power valve is worth the price of admission in and of itself . With 10 minutes worth of effort , it is possible to seriously alter the engine's character . This can be a tremendous aid when adapting to different tracks or trail conditions . Also , the availability of needles and the expertise of people on forums such as this allow you to fine tune to a degree perhaps not possible with other brands . I've just changed to the 300SX top end with a PC Plat 2 exhaust and it is now a very different animal again . For the better . I liked my KX250 but I love the 250SX .

Was your KX modded in anyway?

This is probably relevant--back in 2009 I went from an 01 CR 250 to a brand spanking new 09 250sx.  Did the new bike "blow my CR out of the water"?  Absolutely not!  My CR was fresh, well tuned, and well-suspended.  There were three main areas of difference I noted:

1. The SX was noticeably lighter (but that was back in the PDS days, so the new SX will not be much, if any, lighter than your CR)

2. The SX was much easier to work on (air box, torque values cast right into the triple clamps, etc.)

3. The SX had nice parts stock (clutch, brake lines, brakes, etc)

I suspect your experience would be similar, or, given that your have FC suspension set up for you, that you might even like your CR more than a new SX.  KTM smokers are great bikes, but there not "revolutionary" by any means.  I still have my 09, and I've been riding a 13 frequently. I actually prefer mine, probably because I have had my suspension done for me.

Finally, I STILL regret the day I sold my CR.  That was a great bike.

Edit:  The guy above does make a good point about the easily adjustable powervalve.  If you do ride in varying conditions, that is a nice feature.  Probably not all important however if you are riding groomed tracks.  I only mess with mine for serious mud races.

Edited by rpt50

Most notable features of a new KTM 2T to your CR would be:

1) Ergos - ktms are slim

2) Motor - stock it may hold to your CR. The KTM motor is potent. Add a 300 kit and it'll walk away. Ignition has 2 maps. Ability to change power valve springs

3) Clutch - DDS clutch is amazing

4) Suspension - once tuned to you, will probably out perform the CR's

Combined, like mentioned no earth shattering change but definitely an improvement. You will never however get that explosive hit out of a 450. It will offer more torque and very linear power but an abundance of both. It will make you change how you ride.

Coming from someone who loves his KTM 250sx, I'd say you probably would be let down and be somewhat disappointed. Sure you will pick up some low end grunt and the sweetness of having a new steed, but there's a lot to be said for a well maintained bike where you already have everything setup seemingly really well for yourself. From what you wrote, you have a "ghost" itch...don't scratch it unless you are sure it's the real thing.

And def don't switch teams, keep burning the premix if you are having fun.

Sweet looking CR!!!

I'd say no, I have spent lots of time on these new sx bikes, your cr is every bit as good. You have already fixed the issues stock so it's almost as good as it gets or as good for you.

Ktm has a better front brake( goto crf stuff and get the 270mm front rotor)

Ktm has a great clutch.(call Hinson and get a Maura hyd clutch)

Suspension is sub par compared to your honda and if you wanted you could find forks from a 13 crf250 and have the latest revision with the larger pistons(plusher)

The shock you could have modded to accept a 18mm shaft from an rmz..

You really don't need any of this..