Sign in to follow this  

2010 Honda CRF 250R - Winter Rebuild Project

Better pictures to come later once the latest snowfall melts here in Canada and I can actually get outside to get some good pictures. Anyways, I bought a 2010 250R used towards the end of last summer and decided I wanted to make it mint for this summer and here is what I ended up with. I can take the feedback, whether its good or bad. Here's the details of what I replaced and what I run:

2010 Honda CRF 250R

• OEM Top end (vales, piston, cam, springs etc)
  • Hot rods crank kit
  • SSS Suspension
  • All Balls bearings (wheels, steering stem, swingarm, linkage)
  • FMF Factory 4.1 Ti silencer
  • FMF PowerBomb header
  • GPI radiators
  • GPI blue hoses
  • Split Designs Co graphics kit with seat cover
  • Red ZETA bling (gas cap, tire caps, axle spacers, engine plugs, master cylinder cover, rear master cylinder cover, tank washer)
  • Works connection skid plate
  • BOLT plastics bolt kit
  • ProTaper SE CR Lo bars
  • ProTaper pillow top grips
  • Works connection pro launch
  • Hammerhead shifter
  • Moose foot pegs
  • ARC brake lever
  • ProTaper profile clutch perch and lever
  • CORE braided red and blue brake lines
  • ProTaper aluminum throttle tube
  • MotionPro cables
  • ProTaper sprockets (13/50)
  • DID ERT2 chain
  • Wiseco clutch (basket, plates, springs, cushions)

Fluids

• 94 octane pump gas
  • Engine oil: BelRay 15w50 Thumper
  • Trans oil: Shell RotellaT Diesel
  • Coolant: Engine Ice

20140402_123814.jpg

20140402_123826.jpg

20140402_123905.jpg

20140402_123956.jpg

• Like 1

Dude, you must not be married, with bike and tools in kitchen and all. Bike looks good though,  i like the pro taper bars and blue accents. Must be killing you to wait out that long winter. We just have to put up with lots of mud to ride through the winter here near Vancouver.

One Question, why did chose to run a 15/50 oil, first a 10/30 is recomended and all my research and experiance tells me the lighter oil has advantages over a 50W. A lighter oil flows quicker through the system, drawing more heat away from critical parts. The oil's not just there to lubricate! I believe a good synthetic MC or diesel 10/30 changed often will give your engine the best chance for survival and of course an always clean air filter. IMHO.

Hope you get a chance soon to ride that beauty!!!  BRaaaaaaaP

• Like 1

We used to rent out the basement but now that we don't the kitchen becomes a shop in the winter aha. But I can't wait to rip the thing.

I only got into the sport about 3 years ago and when switching from the honda oil to aftermarket oil I asked around some local guys with lots of mechanical experience what kind of oil to run and they suggested 15w50 thumper by bel ray. The only reason I haven't switched since is because I'm yet to have any serious problems in my engines to be honest (knock wood). I'm open to suggestions to running different oil weights and brands, its just something I haven't had a problem with so I've kept it constant. In fact the only issue I have had is in the tranny side when I was running Bel ray 10w40 EXL mineral oil, when I had my engine rebuilt the guy I had working on it discovered a cracked gear shift drum.

http://instagram.com/p/micMpEQ1Hv/

Thats nasty, although i doubt the oil had anything to do with it. Even though it's a Honda, so their pretty reliable, these bikes are built for performance and light weight over ultimate durabillity. That Rotella T is probably good oil for the trans. I used Shell's Rotella T6 synthetic in my CBR600rr for four years of racing, i always split the cases on the engine every winter and i like how clean and wear free it keeps the engine. I guess if guys are using that 15/50 with out any problems, who am i to say it's no good?  I just trust that the engineer's and guys who design these bikes are smarter than you or i .

Just 3 years into the sport!  You're lucky the bikes are so good now a days, just bought a used CRF250 myself this year after 30 years away from MX. When  i started, the long travel suspension revolution was just starting. My first 1974 125 Husky had 4" of suspension travel, OUCH!

I don't mean that I don't trust the engineers or anything its more so that because I haven't had any problems I haven't had any reason to look into using anything different, thats all. I'm going to do some digging and figure out what other people on here have noticed.