Coolant foaming

So I took my 09 450 to the track today, spun a few laps and let it cool down. Getting ready to head back out again, I popped the radiator cap to check my coolant level. Lots of foam. Looked like someone had poured dish soap into my radiator. I've never had this problem before...thinking maybe head gasket, but wouldn't it be pushing coolant out the overflow if that were the case? The coolant level is fine, it just seems to foam like crazy. Any thoughts?

So I took my 09 450 to the track today, spun a few laps and let it cool down. Getting ready to head back out again, I popped the radiator cap to check my coolant level. Lots of foam. Looked like someone had poured dish soap into my radiator. I've never had this problem before...thinking maybe head gasket, but wouldn't it be pushing coolant out the overflow if that were the case? The coolant level is fine, it just seems to foam like crazy. Any thoughts?

Coolant foaming is normal. Better quality coolants won't foam as much.

Youre correct, if it was a head gasket, it'd push coolant out the over flow. Water Wetter's reduce that foaming. Topping the coolant off will just cause the system to push the excess coolant out when its hot, then when its cool enough to check again, you'll have that normal air gap so chasing it does you no good. Unless you like hosing down your riding area with coolant...

Thanks for the reply. Whats weird to me is that I've done the same thing a million times and its never foamed up like that... Planning to put some new coolant in and see what happens. Thinking about trying engine ice...that stuff any good? I've heard mixed reviews

Thanks for the reply. Whats weird to me is that I've done the same thing a million times and its never foamed up like that... Planning to put some new coolant in and see what happens. Thinking about trying engine ice...that stuff any good? I've heard mixed reviews

no "mixed reviews' with Engine Ice. It's good stuff. It's not magic but it is good stuff. you WANT to see overflow if the motor is wicked hot (unlike evans that will not overflow even if the engine gets north of 300F - bad). It has anit-foaming agents, wp lubricant, anti-corrosion additives, and WILL raise the boil over temp to about 256F if not mistaken (and is good for anit-freeze down to minus26F). You need to flush the green stuff out with water as it is different stuff than typical stock coolant. 1 bottle is ALL you will need, and you will have 1/3 or more bottle left over for top offs later. Just fill to the top of the rad core or as Shawn stated above, it will just puke some out as it expands when hot.