2005 crf450r idle

I need some help on jetting my bike. I have a 2005 crf450r, stock pipe, uni filter. I have been having trouble starting it (like 10+ kicks) and staying idling. I have new valves, so I checked the clearances and they are spot on the specs in my manual ?  which ruled out an expensive fix. Also, changed the spark plug since I had the tank off. I unscrewed the bottom of the carb to check the jets (seeing that I just bought the bike and never checked them). It was dirty, so i ordered new jets just in case they were dirty or clogged. Jets that were in there were a 42 pilot and 168 main. I put a new 45 pilot and 168 main back in.

It seems to idle a little better now :/ maybe. It kicked over the 2nd kick, fuel screw out 2.5 turns. My idle is around 1700-1800 RPM. It will idle for a little while, sometimes 30 seconds and then die. Do i need to go to a 48 pilot if I am out 2.5 turns? Should I reduce the turns to 2? I am trying to adjust everything but like I said it will keep dieing. If I am riding around it runs great with no issues.

Also, before I changed anything, it had the same idle issue and sometimes would pop and stall if I tried to go after sitting for a few seconds.

Sorry if this is long, but i have done research and talked to a few people. Just not sure if I am missing something.

Thanks.

Edited by brians09

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1079615-strangest-4-stroke-ever-to-start/

go through here and check out all the recommended checks.

if its not the carb, then look to the electrical system which, i've never personally had an issue with on a crf.

you could do things like

check/clean the ground connections

test the coil resistance

and figure out how to check the stator.

Sounds like its loading up sittin there idling , try leaning it out a little maybe 2 out in the screw and

Bring the idle up to about 2000 and see , do you give it a couple squirts with the throttle before initial cold start ? Try this ,as soon as you kick over from tdc just past the decomp at the end of the kick stroke slightly blip the throttle and see if that helps , they all got there quirks about em unless your a professional and everything is perfect lol!

Thanks. Yea I will try turning the fuel screw to 2 turns and see if that works. I never hear of electrical issues, but the stator or coil could be having an issue but don't think so. I do twist the throttle 2 times before starting it. I never need the choke on to start it. Actually, if I start it and then pull the choke on it dies when cold.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after re-jetting the bike it ran for a few minutes and then wouldn't start... ugh! So i started with the spark plug, no spark.. found out the wire from the coil to the cap pulled apart while working on everything. It was far enough in where it had a small amount of spark, but not enough to run. So pushed it in, first kick, BANG, started! So after all the jetting was fine. Also cleaned the ground connection at the coil it was a little rusty. Thanks for all the help!

• Like 1