Sign in to follow this  

getting my wrr resprung

So after being stuck in the sandbox of eastern new mexico for the past year i finally i got the opportunity to get into the mountains to do some riding with my dad. Whlie i was riding and when i was going back through the helmet cam video that my dad had taken while following me i noticed that my suspension was not set up for my weight at all and at a minimum i need to get a stiffer rear spring. i was hoping to get some advice as to what spring i should get or where i could take my bike to get this done, i am 5'10" and about 240 with all my gear on. i have been reading a lot of other posts about people getting their bike sprung for their weight but after reading what some of these performance shops charge to do this i am hesitant to put the money into it, as i mostly only to technical trail riding off road and use the bike just to get to work and back it seems i would be paying for a motocross suspension on a DS bike. so any advice on how to proceed would be great!

Try contacting a few suspension shops and asking what they recommend doing.  Once you have a good idea of what you want done, you can call around and see what each shop is willing to charge.  Swapping springs is really easy, but just buying a stiffer spring and putting it on may or may not get you the ride you are hoping for.

I also go around 230 in full riding gear, but I use mine for mostly commuting with a little time on the fire roads from time to time.

Google "racetech"

click on spring rate search

they'll recommend a rate for your weight and riding style

So after being stuck in the sandbox of eastern new mexico for the past year i finally i got the opportunity to get into the mountains to do some riding with my dad. Whlie i was riding and when i was going back through the helmet cam video that my dad had taken while following me i noticed that my suspension was not set up for my weight at all and at a minimum i need to get a stiffer rear spring. i was hoping to get some advice as to what spring i should get or where i could take my bike to get this done, i am 5'10" and about 240 with all my gear on. i have been reading a lot of other posts about people getting their bike sprung for their weight but after reading what some of these performance shops charge to do this i am hesitant to put the money into it, as i mostly only to technical trail riding off road and use the bike just to get to work and back it seems i would be paying for a motocross suspension on a DS bike. so any advice on how to proceed would be great!

Racetech has a section where you plug in your info and they suggest spring rates and such. Be careful about your weight: sometimes these are set for no gear, others are set for full gear.  It does make a difference.

Stiffer springs do help with landings off jumps and help to keep the suspension higher in the stroke to maintain the proper geometry while riding. Often, however, for really slow technical stuff, softer settings make the ride more manageable. 

I'd contact Racetech and ask what they suggest. They've made a well-deserved name for themselves, and their advice would probably be the best results for your needs.

Often, when you change springs, the damping needs to either be reset or even revalved. Bear that in mind, as it is a complete package for best results.  I ride in very rough, embedded rock on hard trails, almost no sand or mud. Because of that, I prefer stiffer springs as it helps maintain proper steering geometry.

Lucky for me, I find the stock springs ideal for my weight, as I'm much lighter than you. My guess is I tend to be about the size and weight of the country of origin's residents, so they have inadvertently made it ideal for me.

Race Tech will fix you up, be sure to properly set sag before doing any other modifications to the suspension. I found that installing a Yamalink really improved my handling due to changing the rake and trail.  The stock setup has the forks too steep for my uses, which in understandable due to the fact that the bike was designed as both the R and X version, and the X version would tend to use steeper rake and less trail. It also changed the linkage rate as well. Keep all of this in mind.