Sign in to follow this  

new tires suck! not really.

recently had new tires installed battlax s20 120/70-17, 150/60-17.

i know im a dumbass because i got caught up in the moment and low sided on fresh tires not even 10 miles and the asphalt left its mark on me, lol

the point is what have people done to remove that stupid mold release (and grip release for that matter) crap quickly, or do i have to be patient and ride it out.

what do pros do when they use fresh slicks and dont have 100miles to ware in thier tires?

Edited by HooliganNation

Weave back and forth while riding, as the tire heats up just start throwing the bike over more and more aggressively. Last time I put new tires on a rode doing this to my favorite riding spot about 20 miles away, once I had done a few passes down the road where I was headed the tire was completely broke in.

recently had new tires installed battlax s20 120/70-17, 150/60-17.

i know im a dumbass because i got caught up in the moment and low sided on fresh tires not even 10 miles and the asphalt left its mark on me, lol

the point is what have people done to remove that stupid mold release (and grip release for that matter) crap quickly, or do i have to be patient and ride it out.

what do pros do when they use fresh slicks and dont have 100miles to ware in thier tires?

tire mount goo that slings out from between the rim / tire usually fools folks into thinking 'mold release' got them. 

wash the bike after a wheel/tire change, and use dawn on the tires/wheels. about 30 seconds of GP8 will get the slippery stuff off too ;-) 

it was the whatever coating on tire tread surface, there was no tire mount goo or evidence of it seeping from the rim and tire. correct me if im wrong but wouldnt it be just soap and water used to mount tires?

Edited by HooliganNation

i scrubbed mine down with simple green then dish soap.

it was my first set of new tires on a motorcycle and i was deathly afraid of crashing...lol.  i also just rode like a total puss for the first few rides.  the simple green and soap seemed to help pretty significantly, but riding cautiously is always a safe bet on new tires.   :thumbsup:

You break em in nice and easy, gradually leaning further and further.

I've broken in new tires on the track in a couple of laps. It's all about taking it nice and easy, and working them in gradually.

it was the whatever coating on tire tread surface, there was no tire mount goo or evidence of it seeping from the rim and tire. correct me if im wrong but wouldnt it be just soap and water used to mount tires?

You can use soapy water, but some shops use actual "tire soap" which is a think goo that help with putting the tire on the rim without damaging it. Also helps set the bead.

That is all we ever used when I was a tyre fitter . I actually scuff the tyre first by either using a wire brush or hang it over a concrete edge and spinning the wheel , greg

Just let the tires warm up and BE SMOOTH when leaning over, my tires get broken in within just a few corners.

On the race cbr im full pace after the first lap for sure

mold release residue from new tires can be removed with Rema pre-buff cleaner usually only available to mechanics and technicians.it takes it off on contact and leaves the rubber a pretty gummy feeling.

at the track the pros use expensive tire warmers between each heat to keep the tires nice and hot.

for the everyday joe a drive of several miles to warm up the tires and then lean the bike over at low speed very gradually increasing the angle on each side to remove the schmeg from the tires.it doesn't take very long.

i got a back tire last week and its broken in already. i just went to an empty parking lot and rode around in circles and went up and down the street a couple times swerving.other than that just ride it. it will eventually break in

Edited by fuentes52