Noise in the bottom end 08 crf450r

Hey guys I have a small problem with my bike. I have what sounds like a dry bearing noise coming from the bottom end on the water pump side is there other than the main big end bearings that fail in that area? I just put its first new piston in and every thing in the top end looked really good and the bike only has 36hrs on it. I did buy it second hand but I've seen nothing to indicate that the bike has more hours than the 36hrs on it.

So I'm thinking bottom end rebuild and is there any thing I should be looking for?

Hmmm do you mean the water pump bearing? I did have to replace a seal in the water pump recently cause it was leaking, I thought the water pump bearing felt fine (just a guess though). I'm under the impression that the is another bearing inside the crank case for the counter balance shaft or is that the one you are talking about.

Cheers Glen

When you bike is more noisy idling then normal it's usually either your counter balancer bearing are beat down and need to be replaced(they'll cause your wp to leak also) or it means you need to replace your automatic tensioner with a new one or with a Manuel one which I recommend.

It shouldn't be low oil in the transition and the noise gets louder with more rpm not just on idle

it shouldn't be low on the trans side, but it could be .. As he said, put another 100cc in there. Even if you had 700cc to begin with, it won't hurt. At 36 hrs you shouldn't have any bearings going out. Pull the oil filter and give it a look. If you have lots of metal lookin flakes? bad news.

and want us to give you an opinion on if it has 36 hrs or a ton more than that? post photos of the foot pegs, frame where the boots ride above the pegs, chain silders, etc.

Edited by MELK-MAN

+1^

Even if you drain it and fill it back up with 750cc. You just don't want to go over 8. At this point it's worth a shot.. You need to get down to the bottom of it and I certainly wouldn't keep pushing it If the noise dosnt go away.

+1^

Even if you drain it and fill it back up with 750cc. You just don't want to go over 8. At this point it's worth a shot.. You need to get down to the bottom of it and I certainly wouldn't keep pushing it If the noise dosnt go away.

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398231107.181179.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398231365.881069.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398231408.631353.jpg

Pic as requested

And for the oil I usually just fill till it comes out the bolt hole that you have to take out as per the manual

Dude that whole bolt hole that's in the manual is highly inaccurate and you should really forget about that bolt. Measuring cup.. Like one you cook with, you need to measure 700cc's out to refill your trans with after you drain it completely AND 700cc's in the motor side after you drain and change the filter. The pics you posted...? The chain I was talking about is the CAM chain and you cannot visually see it without the valve cover removed.

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398231107.181179.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398231365.881069.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398231408.631353.jpg

Pic as requested

And for the oil I usually just fill till it comes out the bolt hole that you have to take out as per the manual

Dude that whole bolt hole that's in the manual is highly inaccurate and you should really forget about that bolt. Measuring cup.. Like one you cook with, you need to measure 700cc's out to refill your trans with after you drain it completely AND 700cc's in the motor side after you drain and change the filter. The pics you posted...? The chain I was talking about is the CAM chain and you cannot visually see it without the valve cover removed.

Fair enough with the oil and a misunderstanding on the cam chain when I recently replaced the piston about 4-5 hours ago the kit I used appeared to be the kit Honda supply's with the bike. I don't have a pic of the cam chain sliders but here's a couple of the cylinder, piston and head ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398232840.898863.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398232863.380869.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398233035.682082.jpg

Fair enough with the oil and a misunderstanding on the cam chain when I recently replaced the piston about 4-5 hours ago the kit I used appeared to be the kit Honda supply's with the bike. I don't have a pic of the cam chain sliders but here's a couple of the cylinder, piston and head ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398232840.898863.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398232863.380869.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398233035.682082.jpg

?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398231107.181179.jpg?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398231365.881069.jpg?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398231408.631353.jpg

Pic as requested

stop doing it that way. And not sure the manual actually says to do that.. i use an old 80wt gear oil bottle (tall, with the tip on top that fits right into the oil fill holes).. I put 700-750 of Rotella 15/40 on the trans side and 700 of 5/40 rotella synth on the engine side. Oil will start coming out of the check hole as it's running right past it as you fill

edit: someone already said to not do that ? and i have no idea what else it would be noise wise. And from your photos, the bike looks pretty low hour.

Edited by MELK-MAN

• 2 months later...

Ok a revive on my thread... The update as to what the noise in the bottom end is that the noise was being caused by a flogged out counter balance shaft. Has any one else encountered this and if so is there after market options to fix this problem?