Sign in to follow this  

DRZ-400sm jetting

Hey Guys,

I have a question about jetting. Also, please excuse my stupidity as this will be my first time doing any carb work. So,I have a 2007 DRZ400sm that I put an FMF Titanium 4 and Powerbomb header on.(Im guessing theres no difference from the powercore 4?) I am between 150 and 300 ft above sea level. Can someone tell me the setup I am going to need to run in the stock carb. The bike is completely stock other than the exhaust. I have not done the 3x3 mod and dont know if I want to. But if i decide to, will I need to change anything after that? Thanks in advance for any help.

You should be fine with stock jetting, the header is where the real exhaust restriction is, the slip on is for noise really. If you were to do the 3x3 mod you would need to rejet. The JD jet kit is recommended when you do plan on jetting the bike, it comes with two different adjustable needles, the most common jet sizes you will need, and instructions on how to jet your bike.

You should be fine with stock jetting, the header is where the real exhaust restriction is, the slip on is for noise really. If you were to do the 3x3 mod you would need to rejet. The JD jet kit is recommended when you do plan on jetting the bike, it comes with two different adjustable needles, the most common jet sizes you will need, and instructions on how to jet your bike.

I thought if you put a full open exhaust system on you have to rejet. I had just the slip-on on for a few days but did not really properly fit the stock header so air wAs getting in where the slip on and header connect and it was popping and backfiring. It sounded like a gattling gun.

Oh, I missed the part where you said you had the header, yes you're going to need to rejet.

Do you know about what settings im going to have to run?

It depends on what jet kit you use. The JD jet kit and DynoJet stage 2 jet kit are both meant for an open air box (aka 3x3 mod). The Dynojet stage 1 jet kit is mean to be used with a stock air box.

I suggest doing the 3x3 mod and using the JD jet kit.

Hey Guys,

I have a question about jetting. Also, please excuse my stupidity as this will be my first time doing any carb work. So,I have a 2007 DRZ400sm that I put an FMF Titanium 4 and Powerbomb header on.(Im guessing theres no difference from the powercore 4?) I am between 150 and 300 ft above sea level. Can someone tell me the setup I am going to need to run in the stock carb. The bike is completely stock other than the exhaust. I have not done the 3x3 mod and dont know if I want to. But if i decide to, will I need to change anything after that? Thanks in advance for any help.

Buy a JD Jetting Jet Kit and an Extended Fuel Mixture Screw

Do the 3x3 mod...if you don't ,your holding back on some performance, just follow directions in this video, "easy as"

With open pipe and 3x3 mod

160 main jet

Blue needle, clip 4

stock 22.5 pilot with with ext fuel screw

2.75 turns

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Buy a JD Jetting Jet Kit and an Extended Fuel Mixture Screw

Do the 3x3 mod...if you don't ,your holding back on some performance, just follow directions in this video, "easy as"

160 main jet

Blue needle, clip 4

2.75 turns

can i get the kit and screw both on tt? and thank you so much.

hate to bother but i have just a few more questions.This is my first time opening up any carb. How hard is it? can a noob like me do it without f-ing anything up? and can i ride it with the pipe and header on it while waiting for the kit and screw to arrive? it was a mother to get on and dont want to have to take it off and put it on again. or at least for tomorrow for a bit. thanks

hate to bother but i have just a few more questions.This is my first time opening up any carb. How hard is it? can a noob like me do it without f-ing anything up? and can i ride it with the pipe and header on it while waiting for the kit and screw to arrive? it was a mother to get on and dont want to have to take it off and put it on again. or at least for tomorrow for a bit. thanks

Mate...that's why I posted a "walk you through" video..........bea.gif

Just take your time and study the video several times....

BTW....All you had to do was to click on the underlined in my post and "presto" , the TT JD jet kit and ext fuel screw would have magically appeared.... :shocked:

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Buy a JD Jetting Jet Kit and an Extended Fuel Mixture Screw

160 main jet

Blue needle, clip 4

2.75 turns

just to clarify m8. I got a powerbomb header to complete my system with a q4 on it. i did 3x3 mod using jd jetting kit 3clip blue 150mj 22.5 pj and im getting real bad poping on aceleration seems to be holding back on alot of power should i resort to the open pipe settings?

just to clarify m8. I got a powerbomb header to complete my system with a q4 on it. i did 3x3 mod using jd jetting kit 3clip blue 150mj 22.5 pj and im getting real bad poping on aceleration seems to be holding back on alot of power should i resort to the open pipe settings?

Popping on acceleration..?? I presume a typo and you mean decel..

tune the fuel screw via the procedure in the FAQ's, some popping on decel is normal,

if the the popping is annoying you , after you set the fuel screw to where you think it should be, turn the fuel screw out another 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn to help calm the pop...

If your running under 3,000 ft use a 160 main jet and blue,clip 4 with open pipe.

Note, adjust the fuel screw after you change the needle setting...

Popping on acceleration..?? I presume a typo and you mean decel..

tune the fuel screw via the procedure in the FAQ's, some popping on decel is normal,

if the the popping is annoying you , after you set the fuel screw to where you think it should be, turn the fuel screw out another 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn to help calm the pop...

If your running under 3,000 ft use a 160 main jet and blue,clip 4 with open pipe.

Note, adjust the fuel screw after you change the needle setting...

i got it. Put the 160 and clip on 4. When i put my header on it made my previous jet setting all screwed up thanks