Sign in to follow this  

What is the best chain and sprocket combo for a cfr450r?

Im sure this has been asked before, but what is the best chain and sprocket combination for a crf450r. Right now I have a rental aluminum sprocket and it wears the teeth out like a fat kid eating cake. I do a lot of trail riding but to get to the trails I ride several miles on the road and thats what wears everything so fast. So what is everybody's opinion on the best combo?

Im sure this has been asked before, but what is the best chain and sprocket combination for a crf450r. Right now I have a rental aluminum sprocket and it wears the teeth out like a fat kid eating cake. I do a lot of trail riding but to get to the trails I ride several miles on the road and thats what wears everything so fast. So what is everybody's opinion on the best combo?

some people will teill you steel,

like iorn man.

or renthan twin ring aluminum with a steel ring (i sent mine back because it might as well have been solid steel by its weight)

but i like sunstar HARD ANODIZED not foo foo colors the HARD ANODIZED one is just a dull GREY

im still testing chains.

but the BEST is likely a msr z ring but is $$$ like 130$

I like the IronMan sprockets for the rear, a little heavier than an aluminum sprocket (but not nearly as heavy as the cheap steel sprockets). They cost about twice as much as an aluminum sprocket but easily last 4-5 times as long, so, much cheaper in the long run.

• Like 2

Check out the SunStar Works Z sprocket.  Its as light as an aluminum sprocket, yet made from stainless steel. 

For chains, I like the DID VT-2 narrow X ring.  Does not rub, one of the strongest chains made, and outlasts regular chains 10-1. 

Check pricing on Amazon as these are expensive parts. 

• Like 1

Has anybody tried the aluminum sprockets with steel teeth? Are they worth the extra money?attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397762134.007681.jpg

thats a renthal twin ring.

it was alot lot lot heavier than i expected.

depending on how picky you are its well worth the money to me to have the least amount of unsprung mass possible.

The Works Z sprockets are not as light as aluminum. I don't even think they're as light as an IronMan.

You're right. SunStar claims to be the lightest steel sprocket but we just weighed a Dirt Tricks Iron man 53 tooth sprocket and it is 22 ounces.  The Sunstar works Z is 1 ounce heavier.  Both are about 1/2 # heavier than a lightweight Rental aluminum sprocket, but only a few onces heavier than the OEM alum.  An Alum/Steel 51 tooth sprocket was 25 ounces. 

From the Works Z ad:

•The evolution of the exclusive Sunstar Z sprocket, now made from the highest quality stainless steel.

•Weighs up to 50% lighter than standard steel sprockets.

•100% heat treated AND even lighter than before with new weight reduction cut outs, but still has a hardness 5 times that of an aluminum sprocket and twice that of a standard steel sprocket.

•Up to 4 times more durable with 1.2 times the lateral strength of any aluminum sprocket.

•Great self cleaning capabilities due to the offset tooth design, same as the original Z Sprocket, which extends the life of the entire chain drive system.

•The lightest steel sprocket available on the market.

Edited by vito.a
  • Like 1

I have been using OEM sprockets with a DID VX chain and they hold up pretty well and only because I found at least 8 new sets lying around... I thing the cheesier the chain the better the sprocket is needed. I do run the IronMan on my fancy wheels and most other sets, though.

Edited by Eddie8v

I like the IronMan sprockets for the rear, a little heavier than an aluminum sprocket (but not nearly as heavy as the cheap steel sprockets). They cost about twice as much as an aluminum sprocket but easily last 4-5 times as long, so, much cheaper in the long run.

+1 Ironman paired with a DID VT2 (narrow X-ring) lasted 120 hours MX.

• Like 2

My only input is watch the chains , you will end up braking chains (which could be bad) . sprockets wearing out is a good way to keep track of when its time to change that chain .

The OEM sprockets with DID ERT 2 520 Gold chain works great for mx/track. Not as heavy as the o-ring chains. 

Keeping the chain/sprockets clean and lubed after every race/ride is key to minimal wear and long life. 

0225141604c.jpg

0225141604b.jpg

0225141603.jpg

0220141509b.jpg

• Like 1

iron man sprockets with any good sealed O/X/U/W/UW chain will last years. I find even aluminum sprockets will last ona  450 with a quality chain

I just bought a sunstar works z rear sprocket -stainless steel

51 tooth. And a rk gb520mxu chain

Chain is narrow same width as non sealed chain and same weight

Sprocket looks pretty for a steel but it weighs almost double my pro taper alum. At 25 oz. it is thinner than others. that's the reason for offset teeth to fit the chain. That also helps clean out mud. They say its strong. I will post update

I feel like I got a very good deal on the chain and sprockets i individually purchased from ebay.

I kept gearing and material choices stock for my 08 crf 450r.  14T front and 48T rear.  I wanted a steel rear sprocket similar to stock and I didnt want to spend too much money on it.  I also wanted to stick with good quality proven Japanese steel for all components. 

Renthal 520 14T front sprocket       $24.95

JT 520 48T steel rear sprocket        $37.17

DID DZ2 520 Chain                         $46.15

Total                                                $108.27

Since I saved some money I decided to get a TM Design works slider roller guide combo for around 109.21 at the same time.

Three years on my Ironman/Dirttricks. Just bought a Renthal with steel ring and aluminum center because I had 50.00 of at Rocky Mountain. The Renthal is a slug compared to the Ironman.

Problem with aluminum and cheap steel sprockets is they will damage the chain, then it won't matter what sprocket you put on. The reason Ironman last so long is the material.

Can go wrong with entire new steel setup and sealed chain. Lasts for years of abuse.