Sign in to follow this  

Subframe, HWY use, and luggage?

I picked up a xr4 in march and am just about it have it ready for the road. New breaks, tires, oil change and now just waiting for the snow to go. I will be using this for my commute to work but am starting to think I might be looking at about 10km of highway each day(new house) and would like to be able to do some short trips that would require some longer hauls on secondary highways (90 km/h for 100km) and need some advice on getting the bike sorted for that

so number 1

I have looked at all the posts regarding sub frames breaking and people making them stronger and I think I need to go that route. Attached is a photo of a luggage rack thing that came on the bike. I don’t have a welder, and cannot weld so will need to pay someone to do the work to the sub frame for me. I am hoping someone on here has either drawings with measurements or can give me some real solid instruction on what needs to be done to make it so the frame can support say 50lbs-extra gas and some luggage and food

Number 2

Once I have the sub frame sorted I will be looking at some soft luggage. I see that dirt bagz makes a rack but I’m not sure I am crazy about their bags. Then there is the Denali rack which is frigging hideous. I like the idea of wolfman bags for being water proof and good size for what I would carry, or perhaps the giant loop products. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated though. As you can probably figure the bike I paid 1500 for, so don’t want to spend the same on luggage

Then last

We are looking at a place out of town and I will have about 10 km each way for 100km/h highway so am thinking re-gearing is probably a good idea. What are suggestions for the gearing? I might look at getting a second set of wheels even just given the amount of highway I will be travelling. Have the dirt/off-road set I have now and maybe look for some 17s with street tires or even stock rims and put Sahara’s or something on them. Or I will just burn out the desert and 606 I have not and just stick with something that is 80 hwy/20%dirt.

So any suggestions on gearing and tires I guess is what I am asking. If I get 2 sets of wheels I will just have different rear sprockets on each, if I stick it out with the wheels I have now I will change out the front

Thanks!

IMG-20140310-00246_zps22e07f6a.jpg

I have only ridden the bike about 300 meters now, but can’t wait to get it on the road and trails

I think most people that try to use the XR as a street bike put a 16 tooth sprocket up front and 43 in the rear.

I like the Giant Loop bags. I've never used mine on the XR but I guess I could.

After you wear out your current tires, you might want to consider more of a dual sport tire. The 606s are a good tire if you're going to be seeing more than 20% dirt, and they handle reasonably well on pavement, but they are buzzy and noisy. For more pavement riding I prefer the IRC GP-1, a good 80/20, street/dirt tire.

All that being said, you'll get varying opinions, but I think you bought the wrong bike to try turning into a highway commuter.

I'm currently running 15/40 and Shinko 705's. I kept the 15 because I didn't want to remove or modify the case saver. I use the bike mainly around town and day rides which mostly consist of paved roads. The tires are very good on road and do surprisingly well in the muddy terrain I have encountered. They are more than adequate on gravel, dirt, and hardpack. I have not yet had any reason to strengthen the subframe

Please excuse grammatical errors. Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

Running 15/45 and second the GP-1s.  Drop pressure on them and they are adequate for offroad (2-track and sand provided you get the 5.10 rear). As far as carrying a lot of gear...not so sure.  I do trips with groups, but we always have at least one support vehicle that can take the majority of our gear so we can keep the weight off the bikes (I have an bored-out xr4 and my riding partner has a xr250 south american edition). Tank bags and sometimes backpacks but that's it.

i didnt plan on it being a highway bike, and just sold a bmw g650xchallenge and picked this up just to play around and for going to work without being on the highway.

Were looking at a new place, and probably will buy it and its out of town

The plan is to buy a triumph tiger 800xc next spring and keep this as the weekend play thing and for the Mrs.  but i want to be able to drive it to work this summer without bagging the crap out of it.  

I will keep up on the oil changes but dont want to be WFO when on the highway, and also not having it struggle to get going because its geared too high.