Sign in to follow this  

Brand spankin new 2014 DRZ 400S.

I did it and pulled the trigge, bought a new 2014 DRZ400S.  Just wanted one as an addition to my 2005 XR650L.   Got it home and rode it for about 17 miles.  Here is my impression.

It is a dualsport aka "enduro" for us old farts... and based on that I will not be making hard core dirt bike observations.

Feels skinny and light just sitting on it. Shorter than the XR650L I am almost flat footed sitting on it - 73" tall 240 lbs.

First cold start.  Gas on - Choke on - magic button brought it to life instantly. I let it warm while I put on my jacket, helmet and gloves. Chocke off nice easy idle, mmm mmmmmm I love the smell of a new motor.  Silky smooth clutch and a snick into 1st gear and I am off.  Gearbox feels really smooth and close ratio - as compared ot the 650L - make a easy loop on a back road near my home. 35-45 MPH oh! there's 48 MPH! back it down, no noted poping back on decel and very smooth and mildly torquey accelaeration. Still feels thin ad light and very responsive to rider input.  Stock tires on the street are quiet as a church mouse andd feel fine. Seems gear low for the street. Maybe once broken in this little motor likes to sing and will be ok at 60 or so. New and tight right now.

Back home and into the woods - went into a fairly fresh 2-3 months old bulldozer trail - not happy. Suspension is mushy, tires are crap producing plowing on the front end and wheel spin on the back.  MT-21 pirelli's will go on when the stock rubba wears out.  BUT! is is a trail bike. NOT a full on dirt bike.  It did well - as as well as I expected and the shortcomings were not unexpected. It did not have the tall tuck and dive feel my XR650L has in the same environment, the 650 is no better off road.

Overall impression recommendation to buy:  For what it is, a dual sport, I give it 4 stars out of 5. Fun! if your expecting a KTM go buy a KTM.

Mods: Carbon fiber skid plate from Moose and tires eventually. Bike seems to be jetted spot on right from the factory no lean decel popping, no lean cold starts.  In my humble opinion, Suzuki has always done a better job at tuning the bike right out of the factory - at factory engineering specifications while meeting EPA standards Than Honda.

Happy Riding!

• Like 6

The TrailWing tires are dangerous in the dirt. Be careful. You will need to respring and revalve the forks and shock for your weight. You will then be much happier with the ride especially if you get better tires. Enjoy your new ride! :D

• Like 2

Glad you are enjoying the bike!  Just as an FYI, a JD jet kit, extended fuel screw, and the 3x3 mod will make it run much smoother without sacrificing mpg's too badly.

• Like 1

Nice! I was looking at a new SM at the local shop... Where are those pictures taken? That area looks awfully familiar.

this is in French Gulch CA, Chappie OHV Park, trail 35/32, it's a blast

Wow you a big guy...7'3"/240lbs....suspension would be high the "to do" list....

Don't worry, it will be lean from the factory...but if your happy with the way it's going atm ,ride and enjoy..

Congrats on the new bike....... :cheers:

• Like 2

Seven Foot ..three ?? :thinking:

Nah ... He says he is flat footed sitting on it

M8 :thumbsup:

Yeh, with his knees over the top of his helmet..... :smirk:

• Like 2

Seven Foot ..three ?? :thinking:

Nah ... He says he is flat footed sitting on it

M8 :thumbsup:

Double Dang , I think I have Bloopered.. :facepalm: ..After re reading WITH my glasses I see 73", which is just over 6 feet.......

but @240lbs the sus will need work.... :p

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 3

Double Dang , I think I have Bloopered.. :facepalm: ..After re reading WITH my glasses I see 73", which is just over 6 feet.......

but @240lbs the sus will need work.... :p

Yah , that's the good thing about us oldies M8 , we have excuses for not seeing , hearing or Drooling ..................................M8

• Like 2

Yah , that's the good thing about us oldies M8 , we have excuses for not seeing , hearing or Drooling ..................................M8

And some Oldies require the riding conditions to be perfect...Don't They Mate.???...

like not too cold , hot, wet, dry, dusty...or be too busy, tired, .. :blah: ...... .... :lol:

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 3

A mate of mine was in Sydney last night - visiting from Cairns. We went to the pub that we frequented in our youth and caught up with some friend from the old day. Consequently I also was "too tired" for a ride today.

• Like 1

A terminology difference I guess. When I'm hung over ad a M8 rings asking if I'm keen for a ride, my response is "thanks for the offer, but I'm a bit too tired".