Sign in to follow this  

7 year old first time racing question

First of all... first time poster long time creeper.  This is such a great site, have always come here to learn stuff and now I have joined. I am from Toronto, Canada.

Ok so now my question... I have a 7 year old who is very small for his age ( 50lbs, short as well) , I bought him a mini adventure for xmas so he can start racing .he has ridden it around our house and is great( he is a daredevil).  The height was great for him, but it was an older one and needed maintenance that I am not great with and from here I have read those KTM's are alot to maintain.

So I was going to pull the trigger on a cobra that I am getting a decent deal on, I know its a 2 stroke but a little less maintenance then the KTM but still a little which I can deal with.  What I wondering though for his size would a CRF50 be better or maybe a TTR 50?? I know he would be in a different class, because they seperate the 2 and 4 strokes up here.  The 4's are less power and smaller seat height, but not sure if he will not be happy with the power... oh and the cobra is full auto which is nice.

Any feedback guys and gals!? thanks alot!

What year is the cobra because I've never heard they were any less of a headache then the ktm's. I've had both and it was my cobras I was constantly working on. The KTM was newer though so no problems other than cleaning the filter and changing the oil. CRF50 is a good trail bike but has horrible suspension. My kid races one along with his ktm 50 and he hates riding the Honda because of how bad it handles and how bad the suspension is. We probably won't race the Honda this year.

What year is the cobra because I've never heard they were any less of a headache then the ktm's. I've had both and it was my cobras I was constantly working on. The KTM was newer though so no problems other than cleaning the filter and changing the oil. CRF50 is a good trail bike but has horrible suspension. My kid races one along with his ktm 50 and he hates riding the Honda because of how bad it handles and how bad the suspension is. We probably won't race the Honda this year.

2009 CX 50 sr.  Well look on this forum even and the feedback is pretty substantial on how much maintenance the KTms's are..especially the clutches.  The one he had was older and needed some things that i didnt want to put the money into for the same price i can buy this cobra for or even a CRF.

The cobra's will be just as much work as  the KTM. I had 2 2008 cobra 50's. Most frustrating bikes I've ever had. I'd definitely buy a new cobra or ktm but I'll  never buy anything more then 1 or 2 years old again. I went through several clutches and had all kinds of issues with the cobras. When they did run my kids were kind of new to bikes and the hit scared them so bad that they didn't have fun riding.

With the KTM and I assume the cobra, you either pay up front or pay as you go.  Or in my case, both.  My buddy bought a 2011 KTM 50 new and still had to buy a backup bike.  Stators and clutches and overheating, Oh my...  His kid is small but a good rider, and prefers to ride his lowered KX 65

My boy races a crf 70 with the minimal supension, but it is a building block for next year.  Nothing wrong with a CRF 50 if is he is racing against similar machines.  The important thing is to get out there.  And it will cost far less.

I dont understand how everyone has to do a lot of maintenance on the cobra? My son has a 2002 kc 50 and it has absolutely no issues at all except I need a new front brake cable because the cord ripped out of the lever.

Both KTM & Cobra 50's can suck and they both can rule.  The best bet with any of them is as soon as you buy strip it down to the frame and go through it.  Check for cracks, loose bolts, etc.  Pull the side covers & check bearings, gears, clutches, top end, etc.  Budget a few hundred in parts right away.  If you do these and be pro-active on maintenance you should be golden.  The issue comes when a new 50 dad buys a high-performance 50 and expect changing the filter every once in awhile is all it needs.  Then they bitch when the bike breaks.  We have run all three brands Polini(long time ago) Cobra & KTM and  all were great once I did these things.  The last Cobra I sold the dad called me a year later raving what a great bike it was and how well it had performed.  He followed my instructions to a T.  This was a 2011 King that I was the third owner on and it's still going strong...................If you are racing MX don't waste time with a 4-stroke at this level................

• Like 2

I agree with you. The only issue I have with my sons king is that I cant find his year any where I look for parts

Both KTM & Cobra 50's can suck and they both can rule.  The best bet with any of them is as soon as you buy strip it down to the frame and go through it.  Check for cracks, loose bolts, etc.  Pull the side covers & check bearings, gears, clutches, top end, etc.  Budget a few hundred in parts right away.  If you do these and be pro-active on maintenance you should be golden.  The issue comes when a new 50 dad buys a high-performance 50 and expect changing the filter every once in awhile is all it needs.  Then they bitch when the bike breaks.  We have run all three brands Polini(long time ago) Cobra & KTM and  all were great once I did these things.  The last Cobra I sold the dad called me a year later raving what a great bike it was and how well it had performed.  He followed my instructions to a T.  This was a 2011 King that I was the third owner on and it's still going strong...................If you are racing MX don't waste time with a 4-stroke at this level................

I agree on going through the bikes when you are buying used, but my friend bought new bikes and is meticulous on maintenance.  He still has issues at almost every race.  Our last series race the stator died on the way to the line, and he replaced it.  He took his boy to the unadilla gncc last weekend and the three week old stator fried with 1.5 laps in.