Sign in to follow this  

TTR Carburator Jets

I have been following posts regarding replacing the stock carburator on a 125 TTR with a Mikuni VM26.  I did this and as reported my bike started instantly.  No problems at all with the swap.  The system is running rich though; the spark plug is dark and sooty, but the bike runs well.  I am going to change the air filter to the BBR option to help with air flow.

My question is about jetting.  The stock Mikuni VM20 has a 180mm main jet and the Mikuni VM26 I am using has a 190mm main jet.  My confusion relates to the BBR Keihin carb having a 105mm main jet, and many of the TT posts on this subject refer to main jets in that range as well.  I want to lean the mixure some on my bike, but I don't understand jetting well enough I guess.  Any help or education is greatly appreciated.

Mikuni bases their jetting numbers by flow. You have a baseline for your jetting - too rich. Follow the sticky for confirming your pilot jet setting / adjustment then move to the needle & main jet. Base the evaluations on throttle position.

Shadrax what year is your 125? Did the vm26 bolt up without any mods? Why did you go with the vm26 instead of the vm24?