Sign in to follow this  

What happened to my hydraulic pump?

Hi all I'm new to the forum. Wazzup!

Anyway, I just bought a used KTM 450 XCF knowing that #1 the brembo clutch did not work and #2 the engine vent was blowing white smoke.

My first concern is the clutch but if you have any info on why it might be blowing smoke feel free to add your suggestions on that as well.

The guy said he put mineral oil in it like the old KTM hydro clutch called for and thats why it wasn't working. I thought okay thats fine...

I got it home drained the clutch line and put dot4 into it with no change. I have since removed the clutch from the bars and removed the master cylinder ect. 

The seals are good therefore I reassembled, yet I still have no fluid being pumped. 

I can press the clutch in and feel pressure building where the hydraulic line connects(by holding my finger over it). I can also pull the clutch, place my finger onto the line fitting, then release the clutch, and feel it create a vacuum. Any ideas on what could be causing my problems?

Bump! 49 views and no comments? At this point I am clueless as to what i should do so any thoughts are appreciated!!

It's typically not that hard to get replies on this board. However, I wonder if your situation isn't a little bit different, since I'd guess that there's very few people that have experienced the same thing that you are, a clutch master / slave with tranny fluid installed. Not your fault, though, that the previous owner didn't know what they were doing.

We actually had a vendor into work yesterday to diagnose some air tool issues that we were seeing. In the course of that conversation, the rep indicated that they often see shops that use ATF fluid in air tools instead of air tool oil. His claim was that ATF fluid caused the seals and orings to expand, and then the tool stops working because they seals / orings are damaged. I have no idea if this claim is true or not, it's just what he was saying.

I don't know if that's the case here, but is it possible that the seals / orings have been damaged by the ATF fluid, and that's why it doesn't work, even after installing the correct DOT4 fluid?

I just did a quick check online (not knowing what year your bike was), and you can buy new pistons / seals / orings for BOTH the master and the slave cylinder. That's where I would start. Hopefully, the ATF didn't damage the housings. It should be pretty easy to inspect them with the pistons out...

CADman_KS

There is validity in that claim........doesn't take much to affect the close tolerances that hydraulics need to function.

Interesting, I could see that being a possibility. Origionally I had asked the previous owner if he had replaced the master cylinder with a rebuild kit (thinking that the seals were to big) seeing as how I had to somewhat cram them in the cylinder. I will try the rebuild kit and see if it fixes anything

And thanks for the replys