Sign in to follow this  

1981 XT250 How to open speedometer assembly?

Hello all,

I am new here to TT. This site has been a wealth of information already, but I need some info I haven't found covered yet. I bought a 1981 XT250 some months back, and I have slowly been restoring it.

image.jpg

After the speedometer cable broke, I ordered another. In the meantime, the faceplate came loose and unscrewed itself from the assembly (possibly from engine vibration).

image.jpg

My question is, how do I access the faceplate? I have already taken the assembly apart. After removing all the Phillips head screws from the back, it appears the plastic housing is press-fit together.

Any suggestions on how to access the faceplate? Clymer manual doesn't appear to have instructions either, but maybe I missed something. Help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

GDK

The pictures seem small in the post preview. I'm not sure how to increase their size.

Not press fit , glued together .

And the pics in your post are thumbs . Just click on them to enlarge .

Sure . Any of those should do . :)

I'd try the least destructive first .

Happy Easter to all. For posterity I thought I would post pictures of how I got into the speedometer and what I found inside.

I took a diamond blade Dremel attatchment and cut around the bezel at the seam. I did not cut out the trip odometer faceplate. Only the speedo side.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is what I found...

image.jpg

Metal shavings, the needle point, and the faceplate screws.

I removed the speedo needle by *gently* ;-) prying it up from the faceplate.

image.jpg

Got a little doodad under the faceplate and voila.

image.jpg

After removing the screws from the back of the speedo, pushing it through, then pulling loose the connecting rod from the trip meter this is what I found.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The gear teeth are shredded. So...

Does anyone have a speedometer for a 1981 xt250 they would like to sell? Or know how this one can be salvaged?

Thank you.

GDK

Try this guy out. Have found a ton of stuff from this guy in town and great prices. Closed Sundays & Mondays.

Cycle Salvage    

1604 Trinity St,

Redding, CA 96001

(530) 246-9135

I had a 1981 XT250 for 27 years, bought it new, had the same problem but found one on ebay.   If these have become rare, have you tried the Baja Designs unit that I use on my Honda XR650R, it has the same type of speedo cable. Works on any unit with a 21 inch front wheel.

I definitely would not mind switching to an after market speedo I would actually prefer it. Does the Baja Design speedo work on a 6 or 12 volt system? The issue I am running into is I cannot find anyone who makes aftermarket speedos that run on a 6 volt system.

Try www.trailtech.net I put one on my 1986 tt600 and worked fine. You have to call them to get correct won I think mine was a universal one.