Sign in to follow this  

New to me 2009 KX250F - couple of questions

Just picked up a 09 KX250F for my son.
 Going through it now changing fluids etc. Forks look good, no leaks, no scratches on the tubes etc. I'll just clean, reassemble and add fresh oil. I noticed that one of the wear rings was worn badly enough to where the lower plastic fork tube guard (on the brake hose side) is just starting to rub on the OD of the seal housing area. Beings how I won't be replacing the seals (ie buying a Pivot Works seal rebuild kit -- yet) where can I buy the wear rings separately? I tried ebay, and I think I found one and it was $12 or so for one.

I have CRF's (05's and 12's) and I think the forks are the same as my 05 crf250r and 05 crf450r but the wear ring on the KX is larger in wire thickness. From an eye ball perspective maybe I can use wear rings from a CRF? Either way, I'd like to find a source for those rings and buy a batch of them. They seem to wear faster than the fork seal rebuilds are required.

Oh, and something I can't figure out (I do have the manual, but can't find reference to it) but &%$#@! is the gizmo with wiring going it that is located just in front and slightly below of the counter shaft sprocket? The shift lever crosses over it. Looks like an oil pressure sender, but that doesn't make sense.

Edited by tahoemike00

Not quite sure what you're referring to with the "wear rings". Do you mean the dust wipers maybe? Haven't seen any of those sold separately, just as a kit with the seals.

And the electrical connector your seeing is the neutral switch. I believe it lets the ECU know when the bike is in neutral so that it will lower the rev limiter to a point where it will prevent an accidental over rev and engine damage.

• Like 1

Not quite sure what you're referring to with the "wear rings". Do you mean the dust wipers maybe? Haven't seen any of those sold separately, just as a kit with the seals.

And the electrical connector your seeing is the neutral switch. I believe it lets the ECU know when the bike is in neutral so that it will lower the rev limiter to a point where it will prevent an accidental over rev and engine damage.

Thanks for the reply. My '09 has a carb, no FI. So no ecu.

The "wear ring" (that's what i call it) but it prevents the plastic lower fork tube guard from wearing though the anodizing of the seal housing area on the upper tube. It will actually wear away and eventually into the metal.

# 19 is the item in question.

CRF450R2002FRONT20FORK.gif

Edited by tahoemike00

Ok, "stopper ring" it's called. They're $2.32 ea at Ron Ayers.

And yes, it's not an ECU, rather the CDI unit that the neutral switch works with. Got my letters a bit off. :)

• Like 1

Ok, "stopper ring" it's called. They're $2.32 ea at Ron Ayers.

And yes, it's not an ECU, rather the CDI unit that the neutral switch works with. Got my letters a bit off. :)

Perfect, thanks for the info.