Sign in to follow this  

Getting a title for a used dirt bike in Michigan sold with bill of sale...

Hey everyone,

I'm new here, but I've been creeping the forums for quite a while. I thought I'd share some of my experience in getting a title for a 2006 Honda CRF450R that I had recently bought. I bought it from a guy in the Army with a bill of sale/no title. I didn't realize you needed a title to register it for use on the trail systems in Michigan until after the sale was made, so I started to do some research. I'm also going to make it street legal.

I wasn't able to find much more than opinions online on what to do to get a new title done up for it from the Secretary of State here in Michigan. I called the SOS today and they said they would need to run the VIN #. Once it wasn't found to be stolen or have a lein against it I would need to get appraised from a KBB, NADA, etc. website or such. With the appraisal value done I then needed to get a "surety" bond for twice the value of the bike. I called up a surety bond company and they issued me one for $100. Anything valued under $10,000 has a flat fee of $100 they informed me. The bond/paperwork is being be mailed to me, and be at my doorstep 3 days from now.

So, with the checked VIN #, appraisal, and surety bond in hand I can walk into any of the SOS's and apply for my new title. It's that easy! I think that is a lot less ass pain then people realize so long as you didn't have a "hot" bike.

I'm also starting a build on my bike as well. It will be getting a full Baja Design's light kit, oil cooler, larger radiators, new tires, chain, etc.

Have a good one everyone!

I got my trail sticker without a title...

Did you get one in "MICHIGAN" Kgmx856? Maybe the person I spoke to gave me the wrong info, but I was more worried about being able to make it street legal and licensable. This is why I was worried about the process of getting a new title.

I went to the Secretary of State today, and they told me I didn't have to titled my bike as "off-road only" because it was a 450cc motorcycle? I was suspecting that'd I'd have to get the special form to have it checked over by a police man for all the street legal hardware, but she said since it had a 450cc engine that I didn't have to. Mmmmkay? I didn't see that info posted anywhere, but it sure saved me a bunch of running around! Also, I've been looking all over the Michigan SOS website for something that matched what the lady told me, but it's nowhere to be found... Maybe she just thought I was purdy sexy, haha... :lol:

Edited by EndGame