Sign in to follow this  

Help Me Price This 2002 XR650R

Hello TT Natives:

Please help me!

I am a resident of the state of Maryland. We are one of those states that make it incredibly difficult to get a Maryland Street Title for a dirtbike.

I ran across this CLEAN, VIRGIN 2002 XR650R for sale closeby.

It was bought new and stored for years. Owner has it running perfectly

Note: This bike has 25 original miles on it! It really is flawless.

PLUS, he already has a Maryland Street Title for it. BIG plus. I will add the dual sport equipment if i buy it. 

HE said the least he would take is $5500.

Is $5500 a deal for a new-old-stock XR650R with a street title, considering that XR650R are VERY rare around here, much less with a street title.

Note: KBB and NADA do not factor mileage. I want to price this bike according to how INSURANCE companies will view it's worth as a STREETBIKE. 

RARE FIND!!! LOW MILES!!! Less than 25 original miles! $6,000 or best offer! 

Street Titled too !!!

Bike has been stored in climate controlled sea container since purchased..

NOTE - Have kept up maintenance as needed to make sure bike runs and stays lubricated.

XR650.jpg

Edited by rc64597

At that price, I would say it is dependent on how much the street title is worth to you.  I have a friend that was able to pick up a dirty 2001 model this winter for $1600.  It had been in a barn for the last 6 years, only about 500 miles on it total.

I would say for something that pristine, maybe $2800-$3000?  Maybe?  Having something that you know is as close to new as you can get is worth something, but that value will be different for everyone.  In MT, it doesn't mean much as you can license anything.  And I mean anything.

I don't know how Maryland laws work, but if you can, it would probably be a lot less to find a bike out of State with a plate that you can transfer the street title to Maryland.  

On the flip side, if you are looking at it from the standpoint of purchasing a brand new bike (which it essentially is), you will still be spending less money than you would for a new 650L or any other dual sport bike that is similar in capability.

Thank you for your reply!

FWIW I have never seen a dual-sported XR650R, regardless of mileage/condition, sell for less than 4k in MD. 

Supply/Demand.

I'm also looking at a modified 2000 XR650R with a street title, all gear and an inspection cert...he won't take a penny less than $4000 for it. It burns oil and has unknown mileage...the title says 31,000.

is there any chance that the state could revoke the plate in the future????   for a near mint bike it may be worth the extra to get one that you know will take alot less than the one that needs a bit of maintenance...

here in CA there harder to get also. i would bet a mint plated 02 would go for 4500 no problem...

Nope. Once it's plated in MD...it's yours.

I'm basically split on getting a virgin XR650R and dual-sporting it...set of street tires and a set of true off-road tires

Or buying one that's already done..

Or...maybe buying a Shadow 1100 for road use...

Does the XR650R make a decent highway commuter for 60 miles a day? 

There is a similar 650R in Grand Junction, CO, low miles, titled, like new, with more goodies as I recall, http://westslope.craigslist.org/mcy/4415782014.html , Craigs List Westslope, CO. Asking $5200. An XR650R would do OK on a 60 mile commute, need to gear it up, maybe a Kush sprocket or a cushioned hub, more comfy seat, small wind screen, etc. I'd advise not to do it, save the XR for what it's built for, get a cheap used street bike for the commute.

• Like 1

Hi,

Look around a bit more, and don't be afraid to ship a bike in if it sounds like a good deal. That bike in Maryland was on Ebay and he was asking $6k for it. It was bid to $5k, did not meet the reserve. Having it plated and titled would save a few hundred dollars.  You might want to look around a bit more unless the money is burning a hole in your pocket. You will need to add $800-1,000 to get it on the street with light kit, speedo, street tires, and a few other things. Lastly, my concern would be the shape of the engine internals if not stored properly for so long with so little use. Best of luck. HTH. Also, a brand new '14 CBR500R street bike is I think $4,999 or so, and would be a blast to commute on.