S to SM conversion 320 EBC brake rotor upgrade

The front S brake rotor (250) was fine with the front 21'' wheel,  not so much with the 17'' front wheel,  so i got the EBC 320 brake rotor and bracket,  Big thanks to Jawknee21 for the Rotor and E. Marquez for the bracket.   ?

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/EBC-Supermoto-Contour-Brake-Rotor-Kit-p4052592.html

I do not know if anyone else has done this swap on the stock S forks,  but with the 17'' wheels on the S forks,  it does not fit,  if the wheel is installed,  there is no space between the rotor and the rim for the brake caliper to fit,   same thing if the caliper is installed and the wheel is being put on,  wont fit,  i had to undue the brake rotor,  put the caliper on it,  and install it that way,  was a pita. 

Braking now is MUCH STRONGER tho,  its a real nice upgrade over the stock S 250 front rotor.

here are a few pics,  including a before and after pics.

ebc rotor.jpg

ebc rotor 1.jpg

ebc rotor 2.jpg

ebc rotor 3.jpg

• Like 4

The blue on the rotor doesn't look half bad when installed.

An easier way (IMO) to get the caliper on is to put it on without the pads in place and then slide the pads into place after the caliper is mounted. Still a pretty tight fit, but do-able.

Anyways it looks good!

Ive never messed with the pads,   was just surprised that it would not fit,  was missing a few mm but could not get it to go,   this EBC320 upgrade is meant for the Stock S set up with the 21'' front wheel,  where there will be plenty of space between the rotor and rim for the caliper to slide on the rotor. 

Thanks for the advice tho. 

• Like 2

An easier way (IMO) to get the caliper on is to put it on without the pads in place and then slide the pads into place after the caliper is mounted. Still a pretty tight fit, but do-able.

Anyways it looks good!

Yep. Pop out the pads, install the caliper, pop in the pads. Easy peasy.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1427135668.665318.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1427135703.831292.jpg

320mm is an improvement. Have it on the 21" rim also. Braided lines are next. Possibly a fancy radial set up.

Is that an S model with an SM swingarm?? Niiice.

Ron, you gotta try that setup with a ss braided line. Stoppies are eeeaasy now. 

Anyways it looks good!

I'm going to do the 270mm front rotor and bracket and keep the 21" front wheel and change the pads while there........sounds like I should fit the rotor first then put in the pads???

I'm going to do the 270mm front rotor and bracket and keep the 21" front wheel and change the pads while there........sounds like I should fit the rotor first then put in the pads???

I honestly don't know if removing the pads is even necessary. Since you are using a larger rim and a smaller rotor than the SM setup I would assume you would be able to mount it up normally. But if that doesn't work removing the pads will give you the extra room you need.

• Like 2