Sign in to follow this  

Please help!

Hello guys! I have a big dilemma, regarding my son's KTM 105 XC. If swingarm bearings need to be replaced, can swingarm move forward and cause the chain jumping teeth on countershaft sprocket? This happened last weekend during a Harescramble race. Bike stopped suddenly (in gear) during race. The bolt/nut that holds the swingarm got loose (I was able to tight nut by hand).

Two weeks ago, I put new sprockets (Supersprox rear) and chain (D.I.D). After AWRCS race (1 hour), the Supersprox sprocket was chewed. Is this issue related with swingarm bearings? I would like to mention, that two weeks ago I had the KTM dealer replacing the crank on this bike. I knew that the swingarm bearings need to be replaced but they were shot. I'm assuming that having the shop working on the bike, they forgot to tight the swingarm bolt/nut and the kick start which we almost lost before the last week race. I've experienced several problems because of poor quality service at this KTM dealer. Any opinion, help! Thank you.

I find it had to believe the swingarm would move that much to cause the chain to jump teeth on countershaft sprocket.  IMO It would really have to move quite a bit to do that. I'm just speculating, but I'm thinking the chain may have stretched to where it got sloppy and was able to jump teeth on the counter sprocket.  Replacing the swingarm bearings is not a difficult job.  It's definitely something a backyard mechanic can handle. 

Edited by eprovenzano