Sign in to follow this  

Trail riding protective gear?

I'll be putting plenty of miles on my yz this summer and am looking for some tips for riding gear.

I currently have a helmet, gloves, riding pants and a jersy. I defiantly want to start wearing riding boots,

what's a decent inexpensive brand/model?

Also, should I invest in a chest protector and/or knee pads? If so what would be the best for trail riding?

I don't race so I'll be be ripping up trails and big sand pits, any info would be awsome, thanks!

You dress to crash , plain and simple

Thor (or equivalent) Body Armor , it gives you Chest,Back,Shoulder,Elbow,Arm protection and has a Kidney Belt built in in 1 vented lightweight item , and its about $150-$165

Boots (real dirt bike boots not Wal-Mart boots , its not the same  , period) , Fly and Moose have boots for around $100-$150, including off-road boots with hiking boot tread ,so you can walk around   (i wear them**Moose**)

Off-Road pants (off-road are called Free-Ride Pants , they go over your boot not inside) , and for off-road i feel they are better because they have pockets and fit looser so your not as restricted with movements , which is usually a issue off-road , and if needed/wanted the legs unzip and they become Cargo Shorts if you need to cool down or (for the kids that want to look cool as they burn their bare leg on the header)

Knee Guards  , i wear Fly 5 Point Knee Guards , they are fairly cheap ($80), and give great coverage and fit comfortably ,you can get cheaper guards for $20-$40 if you like , but once you fall on a rock without any , you will wish you had some  , broken knee cap's really suck , and some kind of knee guard is a necessity for Off-Road where you always encounter rocks ,gravel, and other items that cause pain when fallen on , like a friend of mine that flipped going over a log and caught his knee cap on the foot peg and tore his knee cap all to crap  , he couldn't ride for a year because of it and had to have surgery   , its just not worth riding without some type of knee protection

Edited by 450XJimDirt
  • Like 1

Watch the over the boot pants can hook the foot peg sometimes when putting a foot down and be really scary or cause a spill I like mine tucked in nothing flapping around down there

As previously posted dress to crash.

Also dress for the climate and the physical exercise, I have four season clothing but my fav is an XXL rain shell from a big box  outfitter store that fits over my chest/shoulder protectors and is easy to stow.  Fitting over provides lots of dead air space for warmth, so warmth when needed without weight or bulk. 

Good boots with a traction sole that you can walk in. 

Knee and elbow protection.

Knee/shin guards is the best $40 investment u will ever make. Thanks me later..

• Like 1

Watch the over the boot pants can hook the foot peg sometimes when putting a foot down and be really scary or cause a spill I like mine tucked in nothing flapping around down there

The loose fitting baggy pants are really comfortable but they do snag on the pegs somtimes. I tipped over once trying to put my leg down when stopping. Hurt a lil bit but felt like a dumb ass mostly.

...Off-Road pants (off-road are called Free-Ride Pants , they go over your boot not inside) , and for off-road i feel they are better because they have pockets and fit looser so your not as restricted with movements , which is usually a issue off-road , and if needed/wanted the legs unzip and they become Cargo Shorts if you need to cool down or (for the kids that want to look cool as they burn their bare leg on the header)...

I have both. Always wore free-rides on the quad, don't care for them on the bike.

Why no one has combined features from both styles is beyond me...mx-type pant with zippered vents and thigh pocket would be sweet imo.