Sign in to follow this  

Mississippi to Pennsylvania on my CRF250l, how should I prepare?

Hello all, new to the forum but I've had my crf for about two months. Also done several thousand miles on various other (older) bikes of different styles. I've done a couple of 200ish mile day trips on the crf so far, and it has about 500 miles on it and rising. I have to go to Reading, Pa for a workshop may 12th through 14th and I live in Hattiesburg, Ms (around 1,000 miles away). I really REALLY hate flying. I love taking trips on motorcycles and I thought this would be a perfectly good excuse to take my first truly long trip. Figured I would go ahead and take a couple of extra days off and alot myself around three days there and three back.

My bike is bone stock and a have a couple hundred bucks to upgrade it before my trip. Definitely need a better seat, any suggestions? What other accessories wil really make my life easier on the trip? Also, any good route or scenic stops I should check out along the way?

This will be my first multi-day long distance trip. I know the crf250l is capable but not ideal (besides gas mileage). Any tips to make it run smoother would be great!

Thanks guys!

This bike is kinda small for such a trip unless ............. I could take nothing but back roads and stop at every small town beer joint along the way ....  :p  It could be a fun trip that way ... no hurry and just living life ....   :cheers:

• Like 2

How to take the CRF250L on a multi state trip:

1)Get truck.
2)Load bike into truck.
3)Drive truck across multi states :D

Haha, na, you should fine. Hop on and go. A comfy seat would help tons though.

Have fun and chronicle that trip with some pics or something and then share with us.

EDIT: Add some bar risers. I really like the seating position better with them. You can get some Tusk 30mm for $30. I think the 2" Roxers (vs 1.2" Tusk) are about $80. Not sure if I spelled Roxers right. 

Edited by Old Goat Ninja
  • Like 2

Add some bar risers. I really like the seating position better with them. You can get some Tusk 30mm for $30. I think the 2" Roxers (vs 1.2" Tusk) are about $80. Not sure if I spelled Roxers right. 

Yes I agree .... you will want to stand once in awhile. I like the Rox risers best because you can pivot them ...  :thumbsup:

rox-pivoting-bar-risers-honda-crf.jpg

• Like 1

This bike is kinda small for such a trip unless ............. I could take nothing but back roads and stop at every small town beer joint along the way .... :p It could be a fun trip that way ... no hurry and just living life .... :cheers:

Kinda what I was hoping to do haha. 300-350 mile days are no picnic but that should still allow for a somewhat relaxed pace and plenty of time to sample the local brew offerings!

• Like 1

How to take the CRF250L on a multi state trip:

1)Get truck.

2)Load bike into truck.

3)Drive truck across multi states :D

Haha, na, you should fine. Hop on and go. A comfy seat would help tons though.

Have fun and chronicle that trip with some pics or something and then share with us.

EDIT: Add some bar risers. I really like the seating position better with them. You can get some Tusk 30mm for $30. I think the 2" Roxers (vs 1.2" Tusk) are about $80. Not sure if I spelled Roxers right.

Good idea! I'll go ahead and order some of the 30mms when I order my seat. Would you guys say I should go ahead and get the break in oil change out of the way before embarking?

Also, will adding the risers require significant control cable adjustments?

Good idea! I'll go ahead and order some of the 30mms when I order my seat. Would you guys say I should go ahead and get the break in oil change out of the way before embarking?

Also, will adding the risers require significant control cable adjustments?

This bike has plenty of slack to add 2 to 3 inch of rise .... and yes change that oil ASAP ... I did mine at 400 miles 

• Like 1

If I were riding it down the highway for 1000 miles... Id want the stock 14/40 sprockets.  Even just the 13t front makes the bike to buzzy/high RPM for me to run down the highway above 60mph for any extended period of time.  Sure the bike will go faster, but its just to much RPM for me to want to hold it there for more than 10 miles at a time.  I put my 14T back on the front untill the snow melts in the mountains and I can go trail riding again, for now its just 2 lane black top, dirt county roads, and some mild offroad stuff.  The bike feels so much better on the road with stock gearing to me, dosnt feel strung out going 65.  The only way I can really see a NEED for anything lower than stock gearing on the ROAD would be if you had no power mods on the bike, yes in stock form the bike dosnt really have the power to pull the stock gearing on the highway.  But with stage 1 mods (exhaust, EJK, intake mods) the power is plenty fine for me to run stock gearing on the road and personally I feel much better running the engine at the lower RPMs for those longer stretches of highway.

No question you should definitely change the oil before your trip, I changed mine at 200 miles and again at 5-600 miles.  Thats probably overkill, but its pretty much impossible to change your oil "to much".  The price of 2qts of oil is cheap piece of mind to me.

Id say risers and seat would be more of a personal thing.  I felt perfectly fine with the stock bars on the road.  The only place I didnt like them was when standing up offroad, they are just to low to feel good standing up, and Im somewhat of a smaller guy, 5'8 and around 165lbs.  For me the stock seat is OK but it definitely gets uncomfortable after a while, your butt would definitely appreciate if you spent the money on a seat upgrade, but is it absolutely necessary, no.  One thing Iv noticed, atleast on the stock "brick" seat, is your choice of underwear can greatly effect your butt comfort.  Im mostly talking about the texture of the fabric here.  My normal everyday fruit of the loom cotton undies have a slight texture or pattern to them, I find that after sitting on the bike for long periods this actually starts to hurt your a$$!!!  Basically the texture of the cotton is being imprinted in your butt, maybe this seat really is that hard?!  I have some other undies that are a more smooth slick material, there kinda made more for "sports" or the gym/working out, there supposed to be moisture wicking and keep you cooler and all that jazz.  I gues there probably like the "UnderArmor" stuff.  They also make shirts out of the same material and they are great in the summer, very light weight and they do keep you feeling dryer and cooler than a normal cotton shirt.  Sorry if thats to much personal info, but its just something simple that Iv found can make a good difference in comfort on a long days ride, especially where you will be on the road and sitting down all day.

One of my favorite cheap mods is some better grips.  The stock grips are the worst Iv ever felt on a bike.  I got the ProTaper Pillowtops and love them.  Again this is a personal choice, but ANYTHING you get will be a good upgrade from the stock grips!!

• Like 1

Oil change yes.

Seat very important stock will have you numb in hours. I did a 7 hour day and I didn't want back on for a week.

Stock gearing is good I have no issues on interstate. I did drop tire psi a little to stop the front end from acting up.

Might look into a wind screen.

Other than strapping your gear to the bike by use of rear rack and bungees. Have fun!

If I were riding it down the highway for 1000 miles... Id want the stock 14/40 sprockets.  Even just the 13t front makes the bike to buzzy/high RPM for me to run down the highway above 60mph for any extended period of time.  Sure the bike will go faster, but its just to much RPM for me to want to hold it there for more than 10 miles at a time.  I put my 14T back on the front untill the snow melts in the mountains and I can go trail riding again, for now its just 2 lane black top, dirt county roads, and some mild offroad stuff.  The bike feels so much better on the road with stock gearing to me, dosnt feel strung out going 65.  The only way I can really see a NEED for anything lower than stock gearing on the ROAD would be if you had no power mods on the bike, yes in stock form the bike dosnt really have the power to pull the stock gearing on the highway.  But with stage 1 mods (exhaust, EJK, intake mods) the power is plenty fine for me to run stock gearing on the road and personally I feel much better running the engine at the lower RPMs for those longer stretches of highway.

No question you should definitely change the oil before your trip, I changed mine at 200 miles and again at 5-600 miles.  Thats probably overkill, but its pretty much impossible to change your oil "to much".  The price of 2qts of oil is cheap piece of mind to me.

Id say risers and seat would be more of a personal thing.  I felt perfectly fine with the stock bars on the road.  The only place I didnt like them was when standing up offroad, they are just to low to feel good standing up, and Im somewhat of a smaller guy, 5'8 and around 165lbs.  For me the stock seat is OK but it definitely gets uncomfortable after a while, your butt would definitely appreciate if you spent the money on a seat upgrade, but is it absolutely necessary, no.  One thing Iv noticed, atleast on the stock "brick" seat, is your choice of underwear can greatly effect your butt comfort.  Im mostly talking about the texture of the fabric here.  My normal everyday fruit of the loom cotton undies have a slight texture or pattern to them, I find that after sitting on the bike for long periods this actually starts to hurt your a$$!!!  Basically the texture of the cotton is being imprinted in your butt, maybe this seat really is that hard?!  I have some other undies that are a more smooth slick material, there kinda made more for "sports" or the gym/working out, there supposed to be moisture wicking and keep you cooler and all that jazz.  I gues there probably like the "UnderArmor" stuff.  They also make shirts out of the same material and they are great in the summer, very light weight and they do keep you feeling dryer and cooler than a normal cotton shirt.  Sorry if thats to much personal info, but its just something simple that Iv found can make a good difference in comfort on a long days ride, especially where you will be on the road and sitting down all day.

One of my favorite cheap mods is some better grips.  The stock grips are the worst Iv ever felt on a bike.  I got the ProTaper Pillowtops and love them.  Again this is a personal choice, but ANYTHING you get will be a good upgrade from the stock grips!!

I knew break-in maintenance was a must, but being as this is my first brand new bike I am glad to know I'm not as crazy as I feel changing the oil after 500 miles  :smirk:

I also just ordered some Pillowtops via your suggestion. Can't wait for them as these stock grips get my hands stiff after 15 minutes. Also I had a pair of undies like that and I loved them. Thanks for reminding me I need to find a new pair!

Oil change yes.

Seat very important stock will have you numb in hours. I did a 7 hour day and I didn't want back on for a week.

Stock gearing is good I have no issues on interstate. I did drop tire psi a little to stop the front end from acting up.

Might look into a wind screen.

Other than strapping your gear to the bike by use of rear rack and bungees. Have fun!

Definitely considered a windscreen. Any suggestions for a decent inexpensive one? I don't really need a super high-end one as it will probably only be on the bike 25% of the time or so. My riding is almost entirely city and short jaunts to the trails (obviously aside from the occassional big trip)

Probably gonna go with a good seat pad.

Interesting tactic, just the front tire or both?

Hello all, new to the forum but I've had my crf for about two months. Also done several thousand miles on various other (older) bikes of different styles. I've done a couple of 200ish mile day trips on the crf so far, and it has about 500 miles on it and rising. I have to go to Reading, Pa for a workshop may 12th through 14th and I live in Hattiesburg, Ms (around 1,000 miles away). I really REALLY hate flying. I love taking trips on motorcycles and I thought this would be a perfectly good excuse to take my first truly long trip. Figured I would go ahead and take a couple of extra days off and alot myself around three days there and three back.

My bike is bone stock and a have a couple hundred bucks to upgrade it before my trip. Definitely need a better seat, any suggestions? What other accessories wil really make my life easier on the trip? Also, any good route or scenic stops I should check out along the way?

This will be my first multi-day long distance trip. I know the crf250l is capable but not ideal (besides gas mileage). Any tips to make it run smoother would be great!

Thanks guys!

Don't listen to the old guys around here. Hahaha

I did an 1800 mile journey over 5 days on the crf250l last year no problem. Tomorrow I will be doing a 300 mile ride. So the bike easily does it.

I am running the stock seat but if you have the cash available, I would probably upgrade the seat first, and you'll need some way to store your luggage. I purchased a Ventura rack for the bike mainly cause I already had a bag and I am happy with it.

A larger tank might be useful depending on how far gas stations are apart.

Now go ride and have fun

• Like 2

Don't listen to the old guys around here. Hahaha

I did an 1800 mile journey over 5 days on the crf250l last year no problem. Tomorrow I will be doing a 300 mile ride. So the bike easily does it.

I am running the stock seat but if you have the cash available, I would probably upgrade the seat first, and you'll need some way to store your luggage. I purchased a Ventura rack for the bike mainly cause I already had a bag and I am happy with it.

A larger tank might be useful depending on how far gas stations are apart.

Now go ride and have fun

The seat is definitely top of the list to upgrade. After about 70 miles the tuckus starts hollerin at me! I'll probably try and make it with the stock tank; I like to stop and rest/stretch at about 100 miles anyway. Trying to give myself 3 days each way, so around 400 miles per day. Still only about 6 hours of seat time per day, which doesn't seem too bad!

• Like 2

The seat is definitely top of the list to upgrade. After about 70 miles the tuckus starts hollerin at me! I'll probably try and make it with the stock tank; I like to stop and rest/stretch at about 100 miles anyway. Trying to give myself 3 days each way, so around 400 miles per day. Still only about 6 hours of seat time per day, which doesn't seem too bad!

Sounds like you have a good plan ...  :thumbsup:

I would love to take a back roads journey and checking out all the small towns and maybe finding some trails along the way.  The CRF250L seems to do a very good job in the twisties ...  :ride:

• Like 1

Sounds like you have a good plan ...  :thumbsup:

I would love to take a back roads journey and checking out all the small towns and maybe finding some trails along the way.  The CRF250L seems to do a very good job in the twisties ...  :ride:

Agreed! I'm hoping to at least find a few fun diversions along the way.

There is a road right next to my apartment that has a sharp right, sharp left, then sharp right again section. It looks like one of the tight sections on a motogp track and it's always empty. I like to play racer around them  :cool:

Funny thing is, I've found that I can actually get very low on it and still feel comfortable. Gotta drop to about 15 mph to do it reasonably in my truck, but on the crf I usually go in at 20 and come out at about 30. Way too much fun.

• Like 3